- International Social Survey Programma (ISSP)
The ISSP is a continuing annual programme of cross-national collaboration on surveys covering topics important for social science research. It brings together pre-existing social science projects and coordinates research goals, thereby adding a cross-national, cross-cultural perspective to the individual national studies.
- Social Science Research Council (SSRC)
An independent, nonprofit international organization founded in 1923. It nurtures new generations of social scientists, fosters innovative research, and mobilizes necessary knowledge on important public issues.
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN)
SSRN is devoted to the dissemination of social science research and is composed of a number of specialized research networks in each of the social sciences. Each of the networks encourages the early distribution of research results by publishing abstracts and by soliciting abstracts of top quality research papers around the world.
- Council for the Development of Social Science Research in Africa (CODESRIA)
CODESRIA is headquartered in Dakar, Senegal. It was established in 1973 as an independent pan-African research organisation primarily focusing on social sciences research in Africa.
Algeria - Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Centre d’Études Maghrébines en Algérie (CEMA)
The CEMA Centre is a private, nonprofit research center affiliated with the American Institute for Maghrebi Studies (AIMS). Its mission is to facilitate scientific research on North Africa, across all disciplines and to encourage the exchange of information and research.
- Centre de Recherche sur l’Information Scientifique et Technique (CERIST)
A French national information system on science and technology.
- Centre de Recherche en Anthropologie Sociale et Culturelle (CRASC)
A national research centre for social and cultural anthropology based in Oran.
- Centre d’Études et de Recherches en Economie Appliqueée pour le Dévoloppement (CREAD)
Morocco - Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Center for Studies and Social Sciences and Humanity Research (CERHSO) - Oujda
The Center is an independent agency created in 2002. CERHSO objectives are to promote research in humanities, social, legal, futuristic, to provide assistance to students and researchers in their academic projects and to contribution to regional and national cultural events.
- Center for Studies and Research in Social Sciences (CERSS)
CERSS was created in 1993 by a group of academics, researchers and social sciences practitioners at Moroccan universities. It conducts studies and research in the social sciences in order to deepen knowledge of the Moroccan society and its regional and international environment.
- King Abdul-Aziz Al Saoud Foundation for Islamic Studies and Human Science - The Maghreb in Social Sciences
A documentation, scientific and cultural institution. The Foundation, established in 1985 as a Moroccan law partnership, is a corporate body of public utility. The objective of the Foundation is to stimulate the scientific research in social sciences, culture and development of expertise in the fields of documentation and information.
Somalia - Departments | Libraries | News Sources
A non-profit organization whose primary goal is to promote research and quality higher education among the Somalis. The network includes the major Somali higher education institutions and exists for the sole purpose of brining them together to collaborate on issues that matter not only to them but to the Somali community at large. The organization’s activities and programs revolve around nurturing environments conducive to research and development, an area in which the whole region seems to lag far behind.
South Africa - Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Human Sciences Research Council (HSRC)
The mission of the council is to facilitate problem sovlving and enhance decision making through research excellence in the human sciences. The HSRC pursues its mission by conducting research in the following main areas: economic and social analysis, education and training and democracy and governance.
- Sociology of Work Unit (SWOP) - University of The Witwatersrand, Johannesburg
A research unit which conducts high quality research in the area of work and industrial relations. It’s origins lies in the close working relationship that developed between progressive intellectuals and the emerging labour movement in the eighties. Research activities are concentrated om the employment relationship and include a variety of forms of work, both paid and unpaid. SWOP also attempts to maintain communication and interaction with a broad range of actors within the world of work in particular, with organised labour, business, government and other research organisations.
Sudan - Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Centre d’Études et de Documentation Économiques, Juridiques et Sociales (CEDEJ) - Kartoum
Organizes and conducts collective research programs within the various social sciences. It facilitates academic research and supports the work of students and researchers.
- Center of Knowledge-Based Enlightment
The TANWEER center is a nonprofit research institution committed to the knowledge-based references of revelations and human heritage in both fields of social sciences and humanities. The center works and publishes in these areas giving consideration to the principles and revelations of the Quran while benefiting from the achievements of contemporary human thoughts.
Tunisia - Databases | Departments | | News Sources
- Center for Maghrib Studies in Tunis (CEMAT)
CEMAT is the overseas research center of the American Institute for Maghribi Studies (AIMS). It offers to AIMS members quiet office space, a specialized library with works primarily in English on the Maghrib and the Middle East, a conference room, and administrative support. CEMAT organizes lectures and roundtables regularly, and an annual conference.
- Center of Economic and Social Studies and Researches (CERES)
CERES is responsible to the Ministry of Scientific Research and Technology Development in all research activities and studies related to the fields of economic and social sciences and humanities.
- Center for the Study of Islam and Democracy (CSID)
The Center works on the study of Islamic and democratic political thoughts and to combine them and get a democratic Islamic discourse.
- Institut de Recherche sur le Maghreb Contemporain (IRMC)
A French organization of social sciences research on the Maghreb.
Banglades - Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Bangladesh Institute of Development Studies (BIDS)
BIDS is an autonomous public multi-disciplinary organization which conducts policy oriented research on development issues facing Bangladesh and other developing countries. The mission is to facilitate learning in development solutions by conducting credible research, fostering policy dialogue, disseminating policy options, and developing coalitions to promote informed policy making. The Institute also conducts training on research methodologies and carries out evaluation of development interventions.
- Bangladesh Institute of Social Research (BISR)
BISR is a multi-disciplinary development research organization, established in 2002, aimed to conduct research on various fundamental and critical development issues. The organization also disseminates research findings for better understanding of contemporary development issues including climate change, water resources, environmental challenges, good governance, exclusion and marginalization, water, health and sanitation, education, gender issues, etc.
- Bangladesh Marketing & Social Research Society (BMSRS)
Brunei Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Institute of Asian Studies (IAS) - University of Brunei Darussalam
Burma / Myanmar Departments | News Sources
- Myanmar Marketing Research & Development (MMRDRS)
The first and largest research agency in Myanmar.
Cambodia Databases | Departments | News Sources
- Applied Social Research Institute of Cambodia (ASRIC)
Founded by medical sociologist Dr. Leakhena Nou, ASRIC is the a not-for-profit organization devoted to restoring, distributing, and implementing procedural justice for Cambodian American victims and survivors of the Khmer Rouge.
- Cambodia Research Group
A collaborative effort between Dutch and Cambodian academics with the aim of putting together a research program in close collaboration with international and Cambodian NGOs, Cambodian government, diaspora and business associations, and other stakeholders. The focus of this research program will be on cooperation between the parties involved in processes of economic development, peace-building and democratization.
- Cambodia’s Leading Independent Development Policy Research Institute (CDRI)
CDRI want to contribute to Cambodia’s sustainable development and the well-being of its people through the generation of high quality policy-relevant development research, knowledge dissemination and capacity building.
China Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Chinese Academy of Social Sciences (CASS) - Beijing
CASS is the highest academic research organization in the fields of philosophy and social sciences.
- Center for Sociological Research and Development Studies of China (CSRDSC)
The CSRDSC has four research groups: (i) Development Studies, with both sociologists and anthropologists, devoted to development of rural and minorities; (ii) Social Theory Studies, mainly with sociologists, focus on sociological theories; (iii)Social Anthropology Studies, mainly with anthropologists, specify on anthropological studies in China; (iv) Methodology Studies, with both sociologists and anthropologists, target on methodology in both quantitative and qualitative methods.
- Centre for Urban and Regional Studies (CURS) - Zhongshan (Sun Yat-sen) University
- Research Center of Tourism Impact Studies (CTA) - Zhongshan University
- Research on the Humanity and Social Sciences - Shanghai University
- Sun Yat-Sen University
- Center for Studies of Hong Kong, Macao and Pearl River Delta (CSHKMPRD)
The Center is specialized in the studies of regional economy, laws, politics, cultural education and society of Hong Kong (HK), Macao and the Pearl River Delta (PRD).
- Centre for Historical Anthropology
- Marxist Philosophy and Chinese Modernization Institute
- Research Centre For Chinese Family Firm (RCF)
The research center promotes research and development of Chinese Family Firms. With the combination of theoretical and applied research, the RCF will coordinate and consolidate research resources home and abroad to establish the comparative system analysis of family firms, to elaborate on the growth mechanism of Chinese family firms, and to give a clear guidance on the family firm’s managerial practice.
- Center for Studies of Hong Kong, Macao and Pearl River Delta (CSHKMPRD)
Hong Kong Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Centre for the Advancement of Social Sciences Research (CASR)
- Centre for Qualitative Social Research (CQSR)
Department of Sociology, Hong Kong Shue Yan University.
CQSR is designed to encourage and coordinate qualitative research on important aspects of Hong Kong society and other societies.
- Hong Kong Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (HKIGSS)
- Pearl River Delta Social Research Centre (PRDSRC)
Department of Sociology, Chinese University of Hong Kong.
India Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Gokhale Institute of Politics and Economics (GIPE) - Pune
- Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR)
The ICSSR promotes and sponsors social science research in India. The site informs on research projects and institutes, publications and data archives.
- Indira Gandhi Institute for Development Research (IGIDR) - Mumbai
- International Institute of Population Studies (IIPS) - Mumbai
A regional center for teaching, training and conducting research in the area of population studies.
- Madras School of Economics (MSE) - Chennai (Madras)
- Tata Institute of Social Sciences (TISS) - Mumbai
Indonesia Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Bandung Fe Institute
The research university on social complexity in Indonesia.
Japan Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Center for Social Research and Data Archives (CSRDA) - Institute of Social Science, University of Tokyo
- Center for the Study of Social Stratification and Inequality (CSSI) - Tohoku University
The center is the sole education/research center in Japan which focuses on social stratification and inequality. It aims to serve as a leading institution for international studies on disparity and as a hub institution for education and research on disparity problems in Asia. The research of CSSI now tackles three key problems: (1) the empirical problem of elucidating the extent and types of disparity; (2) the theoretical problem of explicating the mechanisms that give rise to disparities; and (3) the causal problem of clarifying the social impact of disparity and making policy recommendations based on the study of the impact.
- Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) - Cabinet Office, Governmetn of Japan
- National Institute of Population and Social Security Research (IPSS)
- Ohara Institute for Social Research (OISR) - Hosei University
The Ohara Institute for Social Research, founded in 1919, is one of the oldest research institutes in the fields of social science in Japan.
Malaysia Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Institute of Malaysian & International Studies (IKMAS)
IKMAS, established in 1995, is a centre for research in the social sciences within Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia (UKM). Staffed by a team of scholars from various disciplines (especially economics, sociology, political science and history), IKMAS is devoted to Malaysian and International Studies within the framework of globalisation and social transformation.
- Malaysian Social Research Institute (MSRI) |
Nepal Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Institute for Social & Environmental Research - Nepal (ISER-N)
Founded in 2001, the ISER-N is a premier research and development institute committed to turning knowledge into practice to improve human lives and environmental conditions. The institute is a non-profit, non-partisan, independent non-governmental research and development organization. It was founded in an effort to address complex challenges on key social and environmental issues facing Nepal through high quality scientific research.
- Social Inclusion Reseach Fund (SIRF)
SIRF seeks to produce high quality and critical research on causes of social exclusion in Nepal and ways to accommodate and manage diversity, make social science research more relevant to the excluded and disadvantaged groups and their agendas, and ensure that research more effectively contributes to policy and public debate and a deliberative democratic process.
Pakistan Associations | Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Collective for Social Science Research
The Collective for Social Science Research was established in 2001 with a small core staff of researchers in the social sciences who have extensive experience conducting multidisciplinary research both in Pakistan and internationally. Areas of research interest include social policy, economics, poverty, gender studies, health, labour, migration, and conflict.
Philippines - Associations | Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Ateneo Social Science Research Center (ASSRC)
ASSRC undertakes studies on concrete human life situations in Bicol especially of the marginalized, articulates learnings and insights without compromising the truth, and links them with broader policy issues in a globalizing world.
- Philippine Institute for Development Studies (PIDS)
PIDS was established in 1977 to respond to the critical and growing need for research for planning and policy formulation. The research is envisioned to help government planners and policy-makers in the executive and legislative branches of government. Its primary clientele consists of the network of agencies which make up the National Economic and Development Authority.
- Social Development Research Center (SDRC)
SDRC serves as a hub in the Philippines and the Asia-Pacific region for research and advocacy; it also forms a bridge between the academic community on the one hand, and the society and community it is serving on the other
Singapore Associations | Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Arts & Social Sciences - National University of Singapore (NUS)
South Korea Associations | Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Center for Social Sciences (CSS) - Seoul National University
Concentrates on systematic scientific reflections and analysis on the Korean society in its transition (globalization and localization, democatization and pluralization).
- Institute for Communication Research (ICR) - Seoul National University
- Institute for Korean regional studies (KRS) - Seoul National University
- Institute for Russian, East European and Eurasian Studies (IREES)
- Seoul Institute of Economic and Social Studies (SIES)
Sri Lanka Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Center for Women’s Research (CENWOR)
CENWOR was founded in 1984 by a group of academics, researchers and activists who were concerned by the paucity of data to address the disadvantaged position of women.
- Marga Institute - Centre for Development Studies
An independent non-profit centre for Development Studies that was established in 1972 under the Companies Act of Sri Lanka. It conducts a sustained and wide-ranging programme of multi-disciplinary research on issues and problems of development. It has drawn on the three main disciplines in social science, Economics, Sociology and Political science, and has developed a framework of analysis incorporating all the important criteria of human development.
- Survey Research Lanka
Taiwan Associations | Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Center for Indigenous Studies - National Taiwan University
- Center for Survey Research (CSR) - Academia Sinica
Devoted to the integration of survey research resources CSR aims to improve the efficiency of survey work and to promote the adequate use of survey data.
- Population and Gender Studies Center (PGSC) - National Taiwan University
- Research Institute for the Humanities and Social Sciences (RIHSS) - National Science Council
RIHSS was established by the National Science Council in 2012 to integrate and further develop Taiwan’s academic research in Humanities and Social sciences.
Thailand Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Social Research Institute (CUSRI) - Chulalongkom University
- Thailand Development Research Institute (TDRI)
Conducts policy research and disseminate results to the public and private sectors. It provides technical and policy analysis that supports the formulation of policies with long term implications for sustaining social and economic development in Thailand.
Vietnam Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- National Center for Social Sciences and Humanities of Vietnam (NCSSH)
NCSSH) is a research institution under the Government of the Socialist Republic of Vietnam. It conducts research on important issues in the social sciences and humanities that concern the State. It supplies scientific analysis to the policy-making process of the Government to build and develop the country and realize the full national potential of the social sciences and humanities.
- Vietnam Academy of Social Sciences (VASS)
- Auburn Cyber Research Center - Auburn University
- Centre for Digital Humanities Researc (CDHR) - Australian National University
CDHR links researchers and graduate students across the university working with digital technology in a range of disciplines, including anthropology, visual arts, museums and collections, social and environmental history.
- Centre for European Studies
- Centre for Research on Ageing, Health & Wellbeing (CRAHW) - Australian National University
- Centre for Research & Learning in Regional Australia - University of Tasmania
Conducting research into the process and outcomes of learning in regional communities in Australia.
- CEETUM - Centre d' Étude Ethniques de l'Université de Montréal
Center for Ethnic Studies, University of Montreal.
- CIRANO - Centre Interuniversitaire de Recherche en Analyse des Organisations
A multi-university/corporate research center on organizations, labor, finance, technology and management.
- CPRN - Canadian Policy Research Networks
Includes original material on family, health, work, and corporate projects.
- Metropolis - Montréal Centre for Inter-university Research on Immigration, Integration and Urban Dynamics.
- CRISES - Collectif de Recherche sur les Innovations Sociales dans les Entreprises et les Syndicats (French only)
- CRUS - Centre for Research in Urban Sociology
A not-for-profit organization, located in Toronto. It is the first organization of it's kind to bring about research, development and awareness of being urban in Canadian cities. The city is the most diverse place were people call home. Urbanization of social life is at the centre of social inquiry. The most frequent areas of study are urban housing, politics, intergroup relationships, class and stratification patterns, and economic structures and the nature of communities.
- GRASP - Groupe de Recherche sur les Aspects Sociaux de la Santé et de la Prévention
Research group on social aspects of health and prevention.
- IDRC -International Development Research Centre
A public corporation created by the Canadian government to help communities in the developing world find solutions to social, economic, and environmental problems through research. With some exellent links.
- MCD - Mondialisation, citoyenneté et démocratie
Canada research chair on globalization, citizenship and democracy.
Bahrain - Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
Egypt - Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Centre d’Études et de Documentation Économiques, Juridiques et Sociales (CEDEJ)
- Cairo Demographic Center (CDC)
The site provides listings of on-going and current research.
- Economic Research Forum (ERF)
The ERF for the Arab Countries, Iran and Turkey was created in 1993 to meet the need for closer interaction between the regional economic research constituency, the decision-making community, and the interest groups of civil society. ERF’s mission is to provide an institutional mechanism to initiate and fund policy-relevant research, to disseminate the results of research activity to scholars, policymakers, and the business community, and to function as a resource base for researchers through its databank and documentation library.
- Ibn Khaldoun Center for Development Studies (ICDS)
The main objective of the Cairo-based Center is to advance applied social sciences relating to Egypyt, the Arab World and the Third World. The center is particularly engaged in issues of democratization and civil society.
- NAZRA - Women Studies
- Social Research Center (SRC) - American University in Cairo, Egypt
Conducts and encourages social science research in Egypt and the Middle East. The Center's research program is multidisciplinary and combines qualitative and quantitative approaches to inquiry. Emphasis in the Center's substantive program is on social structure, social problems, social change, and development.
- Women and Memory Forum (WMF)
A group of women academics (researchers and activists concerned about the negative representations and perceptions of Arab women in the cultural sphere) advocates the integration of gender as a category of analysis in the study and interpretation of Arab history and the social sciences in general. The long-term objective of the Forum is to produce and make available alternative cultural information about Arab women that can be used for raising awareness and empowering women.
Iran - Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Center for International Religious Studies (CIRS) - University of Tehran
- Center for Tourism Studies - University of Tehran
- Center for Women's Studies (CWS) - University of Tehran
- Center of Excellence for Rural Studies & Planning - University of Tehran
- Cyberspace Research Institute - Shahid Beheshti University
- Cyberspace Research Policy Center - University of Tehran
- Family Research Institute - Shahid Beheshti University
- Humanities Research Center - Yazd University
- Institute of Social Studies & Research - University of Tehran
- Regional Studies Research Institute - Shahid Beheshti University
- Research Institute of Culture & Art (RIC) - University of Tehran
Israel - Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Ariel Center for Policy Research (ACPR)
The proposition of the ACPR is that “a peace which will force Israel to its pre-1967 borders, ... will not be but a recipe for war”. It aims to clarify the paradox of the main watchword of the advocates of the peace process: ‘territories for peace’.
- Floersheimer Institute for Policy Studies (FIPS) - Jerusalem
- Institute for the Research of the Kibbutz and the Cooperative idea - Haifa
- International Policy Institute for Counter-Terrorisme (ICT) - Herzliya
Analysis of background, organization, operations and effects of terrorism, and detailled information on counter-terrorist strategies and operations. It concentrates on the development of technological means, military doctrines, and general policy for counter terrorism.
- Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs (JCPA) - Jerusalem
Focusses on "the re-Judaization of the individual Jew".
- Jerusalem Institute for Israel Studies (JIIS) - Jerusalem
- Myers-JDC-Brookdale Institute for applied social research - Jerusalem
Israel's leading center for applied research on aging, health policy and social welfare. It has a division on aging, disability, health policy, immigrant absorption, and a center for children and youth.
- Pinhas Lavon Institute for Labour Movement Research - Tel Aviv
- Samuel Neaman Institute for National Policy Research - Haifa
- Shalem Center - Jerusalem
Research on Jewish social thought and Israeli public policy.
- Taub Center for Social Policy Studies in Israel - Jerusalem
- Van Leer Jerusalem Institute - Jerusalem
An intellectual center for the interdisciplinary study and discussion of issues related to philosophy, society, culture and education.
Jordan - Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Academic Center for Political Studies (ACPS)
- Al-Quds Center for Political Studies
The Center was established in Amman in 2000 as an independent research institute. It’s objectives are to provide a comprehensive and accurate understanding of the developments and challenges which the Jordanian state and society are facing. The Center pays particular attention to all aspects of the Arab-Israeli conflict, especially those relating to the peace negotiations, the final settlement issues, and the future and form of the region in the coming decades.
- Middle East Studies Center (MESC)
An independent research entity that was founded in Amman on March 10, 1991. The Center conducts research and studies, consultancy, seminars, conferences and workshops on Jordan and the Middle East. In doing so, the Center aims to provide studies and advice to help the development of Jordan in all aspects, and contributes to the development of cultural, intellectual and public policy in Jordan and the region. The Center publishes the Middle Eastern Studies Journal a quarterly peered-reviewed journal.
- Kurdistan Institution for Strategic Studies and Scientific Research (KISSR)
The first research institution in Kurdistan Region which is specialized for scientific research and strategy studies. It conducts high quality researches in a variety of scientific and humanity fields to step forward a civilized society in the Kurdistan Region and Iraq.
Kuwait - Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Center of The Gulf & Arabian Peninsula Studies (CGAPS)
A specialized center for research and studies in the Gulf and Arabian Peninsula region.
- Center for Research & Studies on Kuwait (CRSK)
The center provides knowledge on Kuwait’s political, economic, social and cultural heritage and documents, books, monographs, periodicals relevant to its heritage.
Lebanon - Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Centre for Aram Unity Studies (CAUS)
Focusses on the multifaceted and multiphased process of the unification of the Arab world.
- Lebanese Global Information Center
Lebanon, Land of the Cedars of the Lord: The Art, Nature, Entertainment Photos, Information, Tourism, Education, Food, Language and Lebanese Americans. History from Ancient Phoenicians to Modern Lebanon.
Oman - Databases | Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Oman Studies Centre
Centre for documentation and research on Oman and the Arabian Gulf. The Centre was founded in Germany in 1975 as a documentation centre on Oman and the Arabian Gulf. It is an independent, non-governmental and non-profit academic institution which mainly collects information on Oman to assist and coordinate research on Oman and to promote interest in Oman. The fields of interest cover a wide range from Oman’s history, geography, culture, economy, arts, law, language, natural history and even include more marginal topics such as philately and numismatics.
Palestine - Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Institute for Palestine Studies (IPS)
IPS promotes research, analysis, and documentation on the Arab-Israeli conflict and its peaceful resolution. IPS publishes quarterlies in three languages: Journal of Palestine Studies (in English), Majallat al-Dirasat al-Filastiniyah (in Arabic), Revue d’Etudes Palestinennes (in French) and Jerusalem Quarterly (in English).
- Jerusalem Media & Communication Center (JMCC)
Provides information on events in the West Bank (including East Jerusalem) and the Gaza Strip. The Center offers a wide range of services to journalists, researchers, international agencies, individuals and organizations interested in obtaining reliable information on the Palestinian territory.
- Palestine Economic Policy Research Institute (MAS)
MAS was founded in May 1994 to engage in applied economic research, and to provide expert analysis of policies and strategies critical to the development of the Palestinian economy.
- Palestinian Academic Society for the Study of International Affairs (PASSIA)
PASSIA seeks to present the Palestinian Question in its national, Arab and international context through academic research, dialogue and publications.
- Palestinian Center for Public Opinion (PCPO)
The Center promotes and disseminates freely expressed views of the Palestinian people on economic, social, political, and cultural matters by applying scientific and empirical methods. Carrying out studies and publications contributing to the welfare of the society.
- Palestinian Center for Policy and Survey Research (PCPSR)
PSR stimulates scholarship and knowledge of immediate issues of concern to Palestinians in three areas: domestic politics and government, strategic analysis and foreign policy, and public opinion polls and survey research.
Qatar - Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Arab Center for Research and Policy Studies (ACRPS)
ACRPS is an independent research institute and think tank for the study of history and social sciences, with particular emphasis on the applied social sciences. It strives to foster communication between Arab intellectuals and specialists in the social sciences and humanities in general and build synergies between them and their societal and national concerns. ACRPS tries to network with Arab and international research centers and think tanks. These intellectual exchanges and interactions are channeled through the process of research and critique, as well as the development of epistemological and conceptual tools and knowledge building mechanisms.
- Quatar National Research Fund (QNRF)
The Fund is a member of Qatar Foundation with a mission to advance knowledge and education by supporting original in social sciences, engineering and technology, the arts, and humanities.
Saudi Arabia - Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Asbar Center for Studies, Research and Communication
The Center supports political, economic and social decision-makers, and contributes to the development of the community and raise the efficiency of its institutions and assist them in formulating policies on social and economic development, cultural, political. The Center is a member of the Board of Trustees of the Arab Network for Survey & Public Opinion Polls.
- Center of Poll & Measuring Opinion (CPMO)
A center specialized in the measurement and public opinion polls that provides information to support the decision makers in all fields of economic, social, political and cultural rights.
Syria - Departments | Libraries | News Sources
- Syrian Economic Society
Promotes research on the economy of the Arab region in general and Syria in particular, participates in the endeavors to establish Arab economic unity, creates a networking platform for Arab economists, and helps enhance the study of economics. In its effort to enhance the economic and social development in Syria, the Society hosts workshops, conferences, and economic Forums.
United Arab Emirates - Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Economic & Policy Research Unit (EPRU) - Zayed University, Dubai
EPRU is the institutional focus for applied economic and business related research at Zayed University in Dubai. It conducts high quality applied research that addresses issues of importance to the national development of the United Arab Emirates and provides independent economic analysis of policy-related questions relevant to the UAE.
- Dubai School of Government (DSG)
A research and teaching institution focusing on public policy in the Arab world. Established in 2005, in cooperation with the Harvard Kennedy School, DSG aims to promote good governance through enhancing the region’s capacity for effective public policy. DSG collaborates with regional and global institutions in its research and training programs and organizes policy forums and international conferences to facilitate the exchange of ideas and promote critical debate on public policy in the Arab world.
- Gulf Research Center (GRC)
The Center was founded in July 2000 to conduct politically neutral scholarly research on political, economic, social and security issues, as they relate to the Gulf Cooperation Council States in particular and the Gulf region in general.
Yemen - Departments | News Sources
- American Institute for Yemeni Studies (AIYES)
AIYS is a member of the Council of American Overseas Research Centers (CAORC). It is the only American interdisciplinary academic organization active on the Arabian peninsula. AIYES is the primary link between the American academic community and the Yemeni government as well as the Yemeni academic community.
- British-Yemeni Society (BYS)
BYS was established in February 1993. Its objectives are to promote friendship and understanding between the peoples of the two countries and to advance public knowledge in Britain about the Republic of Yemen, its history, geography, economy and culture.
- Centre Français d’Archéologie et de Sciences Sociales de Sanaa (CEFAS)
CEFAS is a research center overseen by both the French Ministry of Foreign & European Affairs, as part of the network of French Research Centers abroad IFRE (Instituts Français de Recherche à l’Etranger), and the French National Centre for Scientific Research (CNRS), functioning as an autonomous research unit. The Centre was founded in 1982 and was first known as the French Centre for Yemeni Studies (CFEY). Its purpose is to initiate, coordinate and support research carried out by French, Yemeni or international teams and dealing with archaeology and social sciences, in Yemen and its neighbouring countries in the Arabian Peninsula and in the Horn of Africa (Eritrea & Djibouti).
Argentina - Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- CERIDE - Centro Regional de Investigación y Desarrollo de Santa Fé
- CEIL - Centro de Estudios e Investigaciones Laborales - National University of La Plata
- CENEP - Centro de Estudios de Población - Buenos Aires
- CESS - Centro de Estudios Socioeconómicos y Sindicales - Buenos Aires
- CICSO - Centro de Investigaciones en Ciencias Sociales - Buenos Aires
- IDES - Instituto de Desarrollo Económico y Social - Buenos Aires
Brazil - Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- CEBELA - Centro Brasileiro de Estudos Latino-Americanos
- CEBRAP - Centro Brasileiro de Análise e Planejamento
- CEDEC - Centro de Estudos de Cultura Contemporânea - São Paulo
- CEDOC - Centro de Documentação e Formação Social e Política - São Paulo
- CESOP - Centro de Estudos de Opinião Pública - Universidade Estadual de Campinas
- CPDOC - Centro de Pesquisa e Documentação Social - Universidade Estadual de Campinas
- CFH - Centro de Filosofia e Ciências Humanas
- IBASE - Instituto Brasilero de Análises Sociais e Economicas - Rio de Janeiro
Chile - Associations | Databases | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Sociology Departments
- Centro de Estudios Nacionales De Desarrollo Alternativo (CENDA)
- Centro de Estudios Públicos (CEP)
- Facultad Latinoamericana de Ciencias Sociales (FLASCO) - Sede Chile
Colombia - Associations | Databases | Libraries | News Sources | Sociology Departments
- Centro de Investigaciones Sociales (CIS) - Universidad Cooperativa de Colombia
Guatemala - Databases | Journals | News Sources | Sociology Departments
Mexico - Associations | Databases | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Sociology Departments
- Centro de Estudios Demográficos y de Desarrollo Urbano (CEDDU) - El Colegio de México, A.C.
- Centro de Estudios Internacionales (CEI) - Tec de Monterrey
- Centro de Investigaciones interdisciplinarias en Ciencias y Humanidades (CEIICH)
- Centro Universitario de Ciencias Sociales y Humanidades (CUCSH)
- Instituto de Investigaciónes Sociales (IIS) - Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM)
- Instituto de Investigaciones
Director: José María Luis More.
Peru - Associations | Databases | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Sociology Departments
- Berkeley Center for Internet & Society - Harvard University
- CASSR - Center for Advanced Social Science Research - New York University
- CRS - Center for Rural Studies - University of Vermont
A nonprofit, fee-for-service research organization which addresses social, economic, and resource-based problems of rural people and communities. Based in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at the University of Vermont (UVM).
- Center for the Study of Group Processes - University of Iowa
Concentrates on the discovery and analysis of general principles underlying group processes across diverse empirical settings, and on the interplay between individual and group levels of analysis. The group processes area is inherently interdisciplinary. I it may subsume sociological work on status, public goods research by economists, political scientists' interests in the balance of power and deterrence in international settings, communications research on interpersonal strategies, organizational scholars' research on group decision making, and psychological work on social judgments. The role of group processes in human behavior is a fundamental, cross-cutting issue for the social sciences.
- CRMO - Center for Research on Military Organisation - University of Maryland, USA
- CSCS - Center for the Study of Communication and Society - University of Chicago
- CCSI - Center for Civil Society International
An information clearinghouse focused on American voluntary organizations, nonprofits, and independent associations and their collaborations with similar organizations overseas. CCSI publishes materials both in print and electronically and distributes them worldwide. CCSI is a private, nonpartisan educational organization, based in Seattle, Washington, USA. The site includes the archive of Civil Society East and West, a bimonthly digest of news about important projects, events, resources and organizational developments of interest to those involved in third sector projects in the NIS. Each issue has sections on: Projects by U.S. Organizations in the NIS; Books, Training Materials and Other Resources; and NIS organizations.
- CSR - Center for Social Research - Lehigh University
A multidisciplinary organization designed to stimulate and conduct research involving the social and behavioral sciences.
- CSSPPR - Center for Social Sciences and Public Policy Research - Southwest Missouri State University
Applied and theoretical research in the social sciences and humanities.
- CSSR - Center for Social Science Research - George Mason University
One of their programs is the exploration of Virtual Worlds - 3D graphic social environments.
- Working-Class Perspectives
A multi-disciplinary teaching and research center devoted to the study of working-class life and culture. The Center's activities include an annual lecture series, biennial conference, and an on-line bibliography. Director: John Russo (Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio).
- Directorate for Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences at NSF
The Directorate at the NSF (National Science Foundation) supports research, international scientific collaboration and science statisticts. The ultimate goal: to advance scientific knowlegde. Here you find the Sociology program.
- Fernand Braudel Center
For the Study of Economies, Historical Systems, and Civilizations. Concentrated on the analysis of large-scale social change over long periods of historical time. Binghamton University, State University of New York.
- GRC - Gallup Research Center - University of Nebraska-Lincoln
It concentrates on all areas of survey research and quantitative methods, including public opinion, consumer and employee satisfaction, and data utilization in the workplace. The Center's research involves scholars from fields such as sociology, political science, educational measurement, statistics, journalism, and marketing.
- HMDC - Harvard - MIT Data Center
The pincipal distributor of quantitative social science data from major international data consortia.
- ICPSR - Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research - University of Michigan
- IRLE - Institute for Research on Labor and Employment - University of California Berkeley
- IPPSR - Institute for Public Policy and Social Research - University of Michigan
The mission of the Institute is to apply research to pressing public policy issues and to build problem-solving relationships between the academic and policy-maker communities. It conducts interdisciplinary research on issues of relevance to public policy; provides data services using surveys, evaluation, and electronic databases; produces public policy education and research programmes; engages in problem solving in areas of the most pressing social needs.It includes E*Space, a study of the economic, social, and political forces that shape application and use of information technology (IT), and the impact of IT on economy and society.
- IRIS - Center for Institutional Reform and the Informal Sector - University of Maryland, USA
Provides technical assistance & research analyses to groups seeking to improve laws, rules, and procedures in support of the development of competitive markets and democracy, in developing and transition economies.
- IRISS - Institute for Research in the Social Sciences - Stanford University
- IRLE - Institute for Research on Labor and Employment - University of California Berkeley
- IRSS - Institute for Research in Social Science - University of North Caraolina at Chapel Hill
- MIT - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
An independent, privately endowed, coeducational university located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
An American non-profit organisation that helps to improve (primarily American) public policy through research and analysis. Formed initially to carry out research on defence-based topics, current activities fall into the following categories: behavioral sciences, economics and statistics, health, education, and welfare, information sciences, international studies, management sciences, technology and applied sciences. The Labor and Population program covers 4 main areas of research: U.S. labour markets; changing demographic patterns in the USA; the social and economic functioning of the elderly; economic and social change in developing countries. The site gives details of RAND's organisation, activities, research, publications and educational opportunities.
A very large collection of topics, ideas, and assistance for school related research projects. They want to show you how to make the most of your time online. Find the best information available, eliminate frustration, and get better grades with Researchpaper.com! They offer an idea directory, a research central (where you can get advice about online research), a writing center (to improve the style and presentation of your reports), and a chat (when you want to take a study break and go for a chat).
- Roper Center for Public Opinion Research
The data held by the Roper Center provide a valuable resource for research in the social sciences. Two basic forms of data are available: overall distributions and information on individuals. Distributions: iPOLL is a database containing the exact wording and percentage distribution of responses for over 400,000 survey questions asked in the United States. Individual data: The Center holds over 10,000 data sets which researchers can use to conduct their own analysis. The holdings include well-known data sets such as the General Social Survey, the Social Capital Community Benchmark Surveys, and exit polls for Presidential elections from 1976 onwards.
- SIEPR - Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research - Stanford University
Its goal is to foster and support innovative, pragmatic economic research yielding results useful to policymakers faced with difficult economic policy decisions.
- SSRC - Social Science Research Center - Ball State University
- SSRC - Social Science Research Center - DePaul University
- SSRC - Social Science Research Center - Fullerton
- SSRC - Social Science Research Center - Mississippi State University
- SSRI - Social Science Research Institute - Duke University
- SSRI - Social Science Research Intitute - University of Hawai’i at Manoa
- SSRI - Social Science Research Institute - PennState University
- SSRN - Social Science Research Network
SSRN is evoted to the rapid worldwide dissemination of social science research and is composed of a number of specialized research networks in each of the social sciences. Each these networks encourages the early distribution of research results by publishing abstracts and by soliciting abstracts of top quality research papers around the world. The eLibrary consists of two parts: an Abstract Database containing abstracts on scholarly working papers and forthcoming papers and an Electronic Paper Collection containing downloadable full text documents in pdf format.
- SocioNet from the Sociometrics Corporation
A Californian research and development firm specializing in social science research applications. Sociometrics' research has focused on studying the antecedents and consequences of a variety of contemporary social issues, including: teenage pregnancy and parenthood; AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases; maternal drug abuse; the American family; growing old in america; and children’s, adolescents’ and adults’ physical and mental health status.
- UNESCO / MOST Management of Social Transformations (France)
A research programme established by UNESCO to promote international comparative social science research in three thematic priority areas: the management of change in multicultural and multi-ethnic societies; cities as arenas of accelerated social transformations; local and regional impact of global economic, technological and environmental processes. MOST seeks to promote large scale international projects that have a significant policy-relevance. MOST functions as a clearing house for the sharing of scientific information with decision-makers, and it has an important capacity-building function, including training seminars, the establishment of social science research centres in developing countries and the facilitating of data exchange.
- UNRISD - United Nations Research Institute for Social Development
Concentrates its studies to the relationship between social and economic development. The Institute attempts to provide governments, development agencies, grassroots organizations and scholars with a better understanding of how development policies and processes of economic, social and environmental change affect different social groups. UNRISD aims to promote original research and strengthen research capacity in developing countries. This takes the form of multi-country research (with an emphasis on developing countries), as well as action research in the areas of “integrating gender into development planning and rebuilding war-torn societies.” One of the highlights of the site is its War-Torn Societies Project, which contains a documents database with a searchable and browsable annotated bibliography of WSP collected literature. The main site also offers information about the organization and its activities, and a selection of electronic publications, as well as a browsable and searchable catalog of its publications. Note that portions of the site are available in multiple languages.
- European Centre for Social Welfare Policy and Research
An international social science research, policy, and information centre; and an intergovernmental organization on social welfare, affiliated to the United Nations.
- ECSR - European Consortium for Sociological Research
Promotes sociological research in Europe, in particular by encouraging co-operation between research centres. Membership is open to research institutes and University Departments in all European countries.
- EUSSIRF - European Union Social Science Information Research Facility
It combines the complementary specialist strengths of two major European social science libraries: the collections of the British Library of Political and Economic Science (BLPES) in London and the Library of the European University Institute (EUI) in Florence. Together they offer wide access to global social science literature, and are particularly well equipped for research into a broad range of European socio-economic issues.
Austria - Associations | Databases | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Sociology Departments
- IHA - Institute for Advanced Studies - Vienna
- IWM - Institut für die Wissenschaften vom Menschen (Vienna) [Institute for Human Sciences]
An independent, interdisciplinary institute for advanced study. Explore their research fellowships and their general program in East Central Europe.
- RLI - Rosa Luxemburg Institut
Association for Interdisciplinary Research & Praxis. A non-governemntal, non-profit organization, a free research institute and publishing house in Vienna, Austria. The women of this institute are interested in a science that takes the experiences of women in society seriously, be it at the work-place or in science, politics or cultural life. They seek to develop research in interest of women and actively resist the hitherto elimination and suppression of Women’s expression in the sciences as well as the lack of concrete attention to our interests. “In general, we promote research by and for women, without necessarily having to be scientists. They value constructive cooperation between women scientists, artists, journalists and all other interested women.”
- ZAP - Zentrum für angewandte Politikforschung (Vienna)
Center for applied political research is an independent, non-university research institute, specialized in Austrian and European issues. (English and German versions).
Bulgaria - Associations | Databases | Libraries | News Sources | Sociology Departments
- Agency for Social Analysis (ASA)
- Empirical Social Research in Bulgaria - GESIS (by Yantsislav Yanakiev)
Croatia - Associations | Databases | Journals | News Sources | Sociology Departments
- IDIZ - Institute for Social Research in Zagreb
- IMIN - Institute for Migrations and Ethnicities
- IMO - Institute for International Relations
A policy research organization engaged in the interdisciplinary study of international economic and political relation, transitional policy, international markets, sustainable development, resource economics and environmental policy, foreign policy analysis, strategic decision analysis, and culture and communication.
- PILAR - Institute of Social Sciences Ivo Pilar
Cyprus - Associations | Databases | Libraries | News Sources | Sociology Departments
- Cyprus Research Centre (CRC)
The research programmes of CRC are connected with the most fundamental aspects of Cypriot studies: the history, folklore, linguistics, literature, ethnography and sociology of Cyprus.
- RUBSI - Research Unit in Behavior & Social Issues
Their mission is to improve understanding of the processes and mechanisms which influence the health and well-being of the Cypriot population. It wants to contribute to the body of knowledge that informs the development of health policy, education and practice in health interventions.
- Synthesis - Center for Research and Education Limited
Synthesis is dedicated to the development of the field of social entrepreneurship in Cyprus. It promotes social entrepreneurship across the divided country, and contributes to peace and reconciliation. That’s why they are based in the United Nations’ buffer zone of the capital, Nicosia.
Czech Republic - Associations | Databases | Libraries | News Sources | Sociology Departments
- Social Trends
An initiative of the Institute of Sociology (Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic), Prague School of Social Studies (Mararyk University, Brno, Faculty of Macroeconomics and Public Administration (University of Economics, Prague), Center of Educational Policy (Pedagogical Faculty, Charles University, Prague). The main goal is the publication of representatively prepared bi-annual reports published first in Czech and then also in English. These reports will map the development of the country from economic, social, demographic, and political standpoints. English and Czech versions.
- Research Institute for Labour and Social Affairs (RILSA)
RILSA is on of the most important Czech research institutions with a long tradition of research on age, ageing, intergenerational relationships, gender issues, social policy and care, and retirement policies. RILSA builds upon the traditions of the Social Institute of the Czechoslovak Republic which was founded as early as in 1919.
Belgium - Associations | Databases | Departments | Journals | Libraries | News Sources
- Center for Economic and Social Studies on the Environment (CESSE) - Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Centre de Droit International et de Sociologie Appliquee au Droit (CDI) - Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Center for Ethnic and Migration Studies (CEDEM) - University of Liege
- Centre de sociologie de l’éducation (CSE) - Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Centre de sociologie des organisations (CSO) - Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Centre de théorie politique (CTP) - Université Libre de Bruxelles
- Institut de sociologie - Université Libre de Bruxelles
Denmark - Associations | Databases | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Sociology Departments
- Danish National Centre for Social Research (SFI)
An independent governmental research institution affiliated to the Ministry of Social Affairs. The aim of the research undertaken by the institute is to provide a better understanding of social, economic and working conditions in the Danish society. The research area includes other national and international social conditions and development trends of significance to standard of living and living conditions in Denmark.
- National Research Centre for the Working Environment (NRCWE)
A Danish government research institute under the Ministry of Employment. NRCWE provides relevant research-based knowledge about occupational safety and health in order to contribute to healthy and stimulating working conditions in accordance with the demands and needs of society, work places and the working environment system.
Estonia - Associations | Databases | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Sociology Departments
Finland - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Department of Social Research - University of Helsinki
- Department of Social Research - University of Tampere
- Social Science Research Institute (Samforsk) - Åbo Akademi
The research institute specializes in survey-based research. In recent years they focus Internet-based research tools. Experimental research methods, both face-to-face and online are also used in our research.
France - Associations | Databases | Guides | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Sociology Departments
- ARCE - L’Atelier de Rencontres et de Recherches Comparatives en Ethnologie
- CADIS - Centre d’Analyse et d'Intervention Sociologiques
- CEIFR - Centre d’Études; interdisciplinaires des faits religieux
- CEMS - Centre d’Étude des Mouvements Sociaux
Founded by Alain Touraine, and now directed by Alain Cottereau.
- CERCE - Centre D’Études et de Recherches Comparatives en Ethnologie
- CERSO - Centre de Recherche en Sociologie des Organisations [Center for the study of organizational sociology]
University of Paris IX Dauphine
- CESDIP - Centre de Recherches Sociologiques sur le Droit et les Institutions Pénales
- CESTA - Centre de Sociologie du travail et des Arts
- CPN - Centre Pierre Naville - University d’Évry
- CREM - Centre de Recherche sur les Médiations - University of Metz
- CRESAL - Centre de Recherche et d’Etude de Sociologie Appliquée a la Loire
The research is focused on the question of the sociology of public action.
- CRH - Centre de Recherches Historiques
- CRIST - Centre de recherche interunversitaire en sociocritique des textes
- Centre de Recherches Politiques Raymond Aron
Director: Pierre Rosanvallon.
- Centre de Sociologie Européenne
Founded by Pierre Bourdieu and directed by Remi Lenoir.
- CSO - Centre de Sociologie des Organisations - Paris
The Center for the Sociology of Organisations was founded in 1965 by Michel Crozier as a research group affiliated to the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS). It initiates empirical research on the functioning of organizations and on the institutional dynamics in the private and public sectors.
- EHESS - École des Hautes Études en Sciences Sociales
- GERFIP - Groupement Européen de Recherches en Finances Publiques
The European Research Group for Public Finance. Director: Michel Bouvier, Université Paris I - Panthéon Sorbonne.
- GRS - Groupe de Recherche sur la Socialisation
Research group on socialization, from the Université Lumiere, Lyon.
- IAST - Institute for Advanced Study in Toulouse
- IMM - Institut Marcel Mauss
- INED - Institut National d'Études Démographiques - University of Paris Dauphine
- IRESCO - Institut de Recherche sur les Sociétés Contemporaines
- IRSA - Institut de recherches sociologiques et anthropologie - Centre de recherche sur l'imagine - Université Paul Valéry - Montpellier III
- LAS - Laboratoire d'Anthropologie Sociale - L'Ecole des hautes edudes en sciences sociales
- LESC - Laboratoire d'ethnologie et de sociologie comparative - University Paris X Nanterre
- MSH - Maison des Sciences de l'Homme
- Muséum National d'Histoire Naturelle (MNHN)
Germany - Associations | Databases | Guides | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- ARTEC - Forschungszentrum Arbeit und Technik - University of Bremen
Fundamental research on the formation and cooperation problems in the relation between labor, technology and environment.
- ASI - Arbeitsgemeinschaft Sozialwissenschaftlicher Institute
The German coalition of social science institutes.
- DJI - Deutsche Jugendinstitut - München
The German Youth Institute is an independent social science research institute. It carries out application-oriented research and issues related to welfare services for children, youth, women and families. The institute also accompanies and evaluates practical work and provides services for the academic community, politicians and practitioners.
- EADTU - European Association of Distance Teaching Universities
- EMPAS - Institut für empirische und angewandte Soziology - University of Bremen
An independent institute for empirical and applied sociology that focusses on the study of processes of social change, the analysis of life course trajectories, and comparative sociology.
- Forschungsgruppe Altern und Lebenslauf (FALL) - University of Berlin
A research project on aging and the life course. It conducts studies on the institutional and biographical processes of aging and the transition to retirement as well as on the social and political effects of demographic change. Director: Martin Kohli.
- Forschungsgruppe Wahlen (FGW)- Mannheim
Institute for election analysis and society monitoring.
- FIFAS - Freiburger Institut für angewandte Sozialwissenschaft - Freiburg
The institute of applied social sciences focusses on social problems of urbanization.
- FISOZ - Forschungsinstitut für Soziologie - University of Cologne
Focusses on a broad range of topics: sociological theory, urban studies, deviant behavior, mass communication, social networks, social inequality, the conduct of everyday life and family sociology.
- GESIS - Gesellschaft Sozialwissenschaftlicher Infrastruktureinrichtungen
A great support site for social scientist. It supports research and cooperation with information on social science literature, research activities, and survey data as well as with consultation on methodological questions. GESIS is composed of three local centers: the Social Science Information Centre (Bonn), the Central Archive for Empirical Social Research (Cologne), and the Centre for Survey Research and Methodology (Mannheim). The GESIS-project has demonstrated what cleaver cooperation between social scientists (and their institutions) can achieve on the internet.
- GESOMED - Gesellschaft für sozialwissenschaftliche Forschung in der Medizin - Freiburg
An institute for social scientific research in health problems.
- GSFEV - Gesellschaft für sozialwissenschaftliche Frauenforschung - Frankfurt am Main
Association for women's and gender studies.
- GSFP - Gesellschaft für Sozialwissenschaftliche Forschung und Publizistik - Berlin
A research institute that was initiated by social scientist from East Berlin.
- IAT - Institut Arbeit und Technik - Wissenschaftszentrum Nordrhein-Westfalen [Institute for Work and Technology]
- IAW - Institut für Arbeitswissenschaft - Ruhr-Universität-Bochum
- IES - Institut für Entwicklungsplanung und Strukturforschung - University of Hannover
- IFAS - Institut für Angewandte Sozialforschung - University of Cologne
The Institute for applied social studies focusses on methodology and methods of empirical social research, international comparative studies, political sociology (i.e. studies on extreme radicalism), and city and regional planning.
- IFB - Staatsinstitut für Familienforschung - University of Bamberg
Interdisciplinary institute for the family studies.
- Institute für Medizinische Soziologie und Sozialmedizin - University of Marburg
Department for medical sociology and social medicine.
- IMU - Institut für Medienforschung und Urbanistik
- ISA - Institut für Soziale Arbeit - Münster
- ISF Müchen - Institut für Sozialwissenschaftliche Forschung
ISF carries out research on new developments in society and within companies, especially such topics as rationalization and restructuring strategies (technology design, work organization), personnel and training policies and their effects on the labor market, the educational system, and industrial relations. The analyses are concerned with the link between applied and theoretical research, often from an internationally comparative perspective. For this reason, a number of projects are undertaken together with scientific institutes from other disciplines, including technical ones, with companies, as well as with experts from other countries.
- ISG - Institut für Sozialforschung und Gesellschaftspolitk - Cologne
Focussus on German and European social policy.
- ISI - Frauenhofer Institut Systemtechnik und Innovationsforschung - Karlsruhe
The Institute for Systems and Innovation Research concentrates on the social and economic aspects of the techno-scientific sprectrum. It analysis technological developments, their market potentials and their impacts on economy, government and society.
- ISO - Institut zur Erforschung sozialer Chancen - Cologne
Focusses on problems of inequality of social chances, their origins and possibilities for reduction.
- ISO - Institut für Sozialforschung - Saarbrücken
The studies of the institute are concentrated on social organization of the company; technology, employment policy and labor relations; innovation and organizational change; the world of work and health; lifestyles at the end of the working society; people in old age.
- ISW - Institut für Sozialwissenschaften - Humbuldt University, Berlin
- IW - Institut für Welgesellschaft - Bielefeld
- Max Weber-Kolleg für kultur und sozialwissenschaftliche Studien - University of Frankfurt
An interdisciplinary research institute that focues on (a) religion, science and law as sources of interpretation and governance; (b) interaction between cultures, institutions, and mentalities in the wake of radical change, and (c) approaches to action theory relevant to cultural and social studies and their relationship to normative, especially ethical problems.
- MZES - Mannheim Centre for European Social Research
Its basic subject matter of research is the developed industrial societies and Western Europe in transition. The MZES research programme is, on the one hand, concerned with the comparative analysis of central differences between European societies at the nation state level. On the other hand, the programme is also concerned with the more global analysis of the process of European integration, in particular within the bounds of the European Union. The real innovative aspect of research at the MZES is to be found in the combination of comparative social research and the study of integration, both in terms of European societies and also European political systems.
- MPI - Max-Planck-Institut für Gesellschaftsforschung (Cologne, Germany).
The general theme of research at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies is the conditions under which modern societies may be able to solve problems through collective action. The research program concentrates on the historical conditions which (1) limit the effectiveness of merely national solutions, (2) increase the importance of public and private transnational and supranational governance, and (3) increase the importance of interaction effects between national systems of governance.
- OSI - Otto-Suhr-Institut für Politikwissenschaft - Free University Berlin
A research institute for political sciences, directed by Dagmar Vinz.
- SFS - Sozialforschungsstelle Dortmund
A prominent institute on labor research, assigned to the Ministry of Science and Research of North-Rhine Westphalia. It also provides expert advice on new production concepts. the introduction of ecoaudits, consequences of multimedia technologies, womenspecific labour market policy, and health policy.
- SFZ - Sozialwissenschaftliches Forschungszentrum Berlin - Brandenburg e.V.
- SKB - Streitkräftebasis
Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut der Bundeswehr - Stuttgart
- SOFI - Soziologische Forschungsinstitut - Universität Göttingen
- WSI - Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliche Institut - Hans-Böckler-Stiftung
A trade-union friedly research institute that focusses on the scientific study of practical policy problems in labor market, democracy and economy.
- WZB - Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung [Science Center Berlin]
Basic social science research is conducted in selected problem areas under the general theme of “Developmental Trends, Problems of Adaptation, and Possibilities for Innovation in Modern Democratic Societies.” WZB research is focused on issues that the decision-making community and society at large have a special interest in soiving. German and English version. These are some of research units of the WZB: Eduction, Work and Life Chances, Markets and Choice, Society and Economic Dynamics, Wandel politischer Systeme.
- ZA - Zentralarchiv für Empirische Sozialforschung - University of Cologne
The Central Archive archives primary material — data, questionnaires, code plans — and results of empirical studies in order to prepare them for secondary analysis and to make them available to the interested public.
- ZES - Zentrum für Sozial Politik - University of Bremen
Research on social and health policy and on the history and institutions of the welfare state.
- ZIMOS - Zentralinstitut für Ost- und Mitteleuropastudien [Central Institute for Eastern and Central European Studies]
The Institute's research projects and scientific cooperative activties focus predominanty on the areas of contemporary history and the history of thought in the countries of the former Eastern bloc. Special emphasis is devoted to current transformation processes in economy, culture and society as well as to the processing of archival material available since the political turn, which has generated a broad documentary basis for research on the more recent history of central and eastern Europe.
Greece - Associations | Databasis | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- National Centre for Social Resarch - EKKE
The only public institution in Greece dedicated to the social sciences. ???? is supervised by the General Secretariat of Research and Technology of the Ministry of Education and religious matters. It conducts social research on a wide range of subjects in areas such as social policy, political sociology and electoral geography, social geography and social anthropology.
Hungary - Associations | Databasis | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Research Centre for Social Studies - Hungarian Academy of Science (MTU)
- Tárki Social Research Institute
An independent employee-owned research organisation that specialises in policy research in the fields of policy research in the fields of social policy and the social consequences of economic policies. This includes related data-collection, archiving and statistical activities.
Iceland - Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Social Science Research Institute - University of Iceland
Ireland - Associations | Databasis | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI)
The ESRI produces research that contributes to understanding economic and social change in the new international context and that informs public policymaking and civil society in Ireland. The researchers have leveraged their conceptual and empirical research in economics and sociology to provide analysis that helps inform economic and social policymaking in Ireland. Key features of the research are its strong empirical base, its policy focus and its coverage of many of the major areas of relevance to current policy issues in Ireland and the European Union.
- Social Research Association - Ireland (SRA-Ireland)
Italy - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Eurispes - Institute for the study of political economy and sociology
Annual portrays of the Italian society and scientific studies on a diversity of social issues.
- Instituto di Sociologia Internazionale di Gorizia (ISIG)
A non-profit cultural institution that concentrate on international sociology. It carries out studies and researches and organizes conferences on the problems of the relations between states, nations, and ethnic groups and on the cultural, economic and social development of the populations.
- Fondazione Istituto Gramsci
The Foundation carries out its activities in the fields of historical and philosophical research, organisation of conferences and symposia, publications and training. The Foundation regularly publishes its «Annali» and the quarterly journal «Studi storici». The Archives of the Foundation focus on the records of the Italian Communist Party (1921-1991). The Library of the Foundation holds over 100,000 printed volumes, especially in the historical field, and a collection of over 4,400 periodical publications. (Italian and English version).
- Laboratorio di Ricerca Sociale
Laboratory of Social Research of the Department of Social Sciences, University of Pisa. There's an on line journal, The Lab’s Quarterly.
Kazakhstan - Associations | Databasis | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Brif - marketing and social research
Latvia - Associations | Databasis | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Sociālo un politisko pētījumu institāts (SPPI) - Social and Political Research Institute
The research institute of the Faculty of Social Sciences at the University of Latvia.
Luxembourg - Databasis | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Social Science Research (CEPS/Instead)
- Integrative Research Unit of Social and Individual Development (INSIDE) - University of Luxembourg
Macedonia - Associations | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Center for Regional Policy Research and Cooperation (CRPRC)
CRPRC was established in 2002, as an independent research oriented NGO. It is a specialized think-tank for addressing the issues falling into its priority areas of public health, social inclusion, environmental considerations and the new media.
- Euro-Balkan Institute for Social and Humanities Research
- Institute for Democracy - Societas Civiles - Skopje (IDSCS)
A research centre which promotes the development and implementation of democratic values in the country. Through research and analysis activities, the institute fosters public awareness and informed debate.
- Macedonian Centre for International Cooperation (MCIC)
MCIC is a research centre actively engaged in fosetring civil society and active citizenship in the country. Through its projects it supports local and rural development, social cohesion as well as acceptance of social diversity, good governance in Macedonia and the European integration process.
- Research in Social Sciences in Macedonia 
Moldova - Databasis | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- European Institute for Political Studies in Moldova (EIPSM)
- Foundation for Social and Economic Research - CASE Moldova
The CASE Moldava Foundation aims to contribute to the social-economic development and the promotion of structural reforms in the Republic of Moldova and in other countries with a transition economy, by means of: (i) economic studies, exchange of experiences and promoting a better understanding of economic and social policies by the public; (ii) investigations in the field of economy and social development in the Republic of Moldova and in other countries with a transition economy, distributing the results of these investigations and elaborating recommendations in the field of public policies.
Netherlands - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Amsterdam Centre for Inequality Studies (AMCIS)
- Amsterdam Institute for Addiction Research (AIAR)
- Amsterdams Instituut voor Arbeidsstudies (AIAS)
- Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research (AISSR)
- Amsterdam Institute for the Metropolitan and International Development Studies (AME)
A socio-economic research institute on cities and regions.
- Amsterdam Research Center for Gender and Sexuality (ARC-GS)
- Centrum voor Drugsonderzoek (CEDRO) - Amsterdam
The Centre for Drug Research ceased to exist as an independent drug research institution per january 2004 and proceeded to finnish ongoing projects and articles. Most of the CEDRO work (theoretical and epidemiological) is still available on the CEDRO website.
- Centrum voor Duitsland-Studies - Nijmegen
German studies Institute.
- Center for Higher Education Policy Studies (CHEPS) - Enschede
- Clingendael - Netherlands Institute of International Relations - The Hague
- Interuniversity Research Institute on Communication Technology (COBRA)
The Dutch National Centre for research and education on enabling communication technologies.
- Centrum voor Verslavingsonderzoek (CVO) - Utrecht
Addiction Research Institute
- Centre for Science and Technology Studies (CWTS) - Leiden
- The European Research Centre on Migration and Ethnic Relations (ERCOMER)
A multidisciplinary research institute devoted to the specialist study of migration and ethnic relations at a European level. Based at Utrecht University (Netherlands) it brings together researchers with a special interest in these issues, to initiate new projects, to provide advanced training and to promote the dissemination of relevant information and research results. The current research-related staff is 25, drawn from seven member states of the European Union.
- Interuniversity Center for Social Science Theory and Methodology (ICS)
Research Center and Graduate SchoolUniversities of Groningen, Utrecht and Nijmegen.
- The Institute for Intigration and Ethnic Studies (IMES)
IMES is an interdisciplinary research institute based in the Faculty of Political and Socio-Cultural Sciences (PSCW) of the University of Amsterdam. It's aims are to promote, coordinate and carry out research in the field of migration and ethnic studies.
- Institute of Gender Studies - Radboud University
An independent bureau which carries out social scientific research and provides policy advice. The research is concerned with socially relevant questions which demand clear answers in a short time period. Intraval has built up a reputation in the area of policy research. Research and advice are concentrated addiction, livability welfare and youth.
- Instituut voor Sociologisch-Economisch Onderzoek (ISEO)
Recearch center concentrating on social inequalities, with special interest for ethnic minorities. The ISEO is embedded in the Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Internationaal Instituut voor Sociale Geschiedenis (ISG)
Research and Documentation Center for Social History.
- Institute of Social Studies (ISS)
The Hague. An international graduate school of social science teaching, research and advisory work in the field of development studies. The research programme emphasizes fundamental and applied policy-oriented issues.
- Instituut voor Toegepaste Sociologie (ITS)
Institute for Applied Sociology. Themes are education, labor and organization, justice and police, welfare and health, traffic, town and city planning, environmental planning.
- Instituut voor onderzoek naar Leefwijzen & Verslaving (IVO)
The Addiction Research Institute Foundation acquires and transfers scientific knowledge about the addiction problem.
- Koninklijke Nederlandse Academie van Wetenschappen (KNAW)
Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences.
- Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation (MERIT)
- Maastricht School of Management (MSM)
- Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities and Social Sciences (NIAS)
The NIAS offers scholars who have already made a significant contribution to their field are given the opportunity to devote themselves exclusively to their own academic projects for a ten-month period, individually or as part of a research theme group.
- Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute (NiDi)
An independent institute engaged in the scientific study of population. Research aims to contribute to the description, analysis, explanation or prediction of demographic trends in the past, the present and the future. Also the determinants and consequences of these trends for society in general, and policy in particular are studied. NIDI research is characterized by its interdisciplinary approach and international orientation.
- Market Research Institute (TNS NIPO)
The largest full-service marketing research agency in the Netherlands.
- Nederlands Onderzoekscentrum Arbeidsmarkt en Allochtonen (NOA)
Research center Labor Market and Immigrants. Department of labor and organizational pychology, Free University, Amsterdam.
- Nuffic - Dutch organization for international co-operation in higher education
Nuffic has three departments working to facilitate development cooperation: in the higher education sector; in the research sector and CESO, which specializes in formal and informal education at all levels in developing countries.
- Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek (NWO)
Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research. The largest organization for fundamental and strategic research in the Netherlands. It stimulates, initiates and coordinates top-level research, which is carried out in Dutch universities and a number of national research institutes. (Dutch and English version).
- Research Institute for Policy and Technology (OTB)
A professional research organisation conducting housing and urban policy research. OTB draws on the technical sciences, policy analysis, management science and informatics. The most important policy fields in which it is involved are housing, urban renewal, building and real estate management, urban policy and environmental planning, land use, environmental protection, infrastructure, traffic and transport, construction policy, and land information. From Delft University of Technology.
- Posthumus Institute
Research Institute and Graduate School on economic and social history in the Netherlands and Flanders.
An independent specialist within the field of applied politcy research with a strong reputation for tailor-made and high quality work.
- RSM Erasmus University
Rotterdam School of Management.
- Research voor Beleid (RVB)
- School of Human Rights Research (Onderzoekschool Rechten van de Mens)
An inter-university alliance, a joint effort of the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Humanities of Utrecht University, and the Faculties of Law of Maastricht University, Erasmus University of Rotterdam and the Catholic University of Brabant. The Research School comprises a communal/collective research and training programme, and aims to unite researchers in the field of human rights. The central research theme is the nature and meaning of international standards in the field of human rights, their application and promotion within the national legal order, and the international supervision of such application.
- Studie- en Informatiecentrum Mensenrechten (SIM) - Netherlands Institute of Human Rights
A centre of human rights research in the Netherlands that conducts and promotes research and collects relevant documentation concerning all human rights. English and Dutch version.
- SISWO - Institute for the Social Sciences
An inter-universersitary service organization that stimulates and supports research in the social sciences. Actual information can be read in the general newsletter FACTA.
- Transnational Institute (TNI)
An international network of activist-scholars concerned to analyse and find viable solutions to such global problems as: militarism and conflict; poverty and marginalisation; social injustice; environmental degradation.
A Dutch Organization for Applied Scientific Research.
- Trimbos Instituut
The national knowledge institute for mental health care, addiction care and social work. (English and Dutch versions)
- Business School Twente (TSM)
Norway - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Fafo Institute for Labour and Social Research
Fafo was founded by the Norwegian Confederation of Trade Unions (LO) in 1982 and was reorganised as a foundation in 1993. Fafo develops and disseminates knowledge about changes in living and working conditions, societal participation, democracy and development in a range of social and economic settings. Their ambition is to contribute to processes of social and economic development based on rigorous ethical and scientific standards.
- Institutt for Samfunnsforskning (ISF) - Institute for Social Research
ISF was established in 1950 as an independent foundation in Oslo. It is an inter-disciplinary research environment without sharp distinctions between basic and applied research. The interplay between basic and applied research is reflected in their position as a contract research institute with high academic ambitions and in or close contact with the University of Oslo and the Research Council of Norway, as well as with ministries and private sector agencies. The aim is to produce knowledge and understanding in areas that are significant for society, and to work closely to the cutting edge of international social science.
- NOVA - Senter for Velferds og Arbeidslivsforskning - Centre for Welfare and Labour Research -
NOVA is one of the largest social research institutes in Norway. It conducts research on different aspects of society and the welfare state. They focus on the whole range of the life course: from the early years to the later life. The research is centered around Norwegian society, but international projects form a growing and important addition. The site offers presentations of research results and information about publications, projects, and the researchers.
- Wikipedia: Norwegian_Social_Research
Poland - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- The European Institute for Local and Regional Development (EUROREG) - University Warsaw.
The institute conducts policy-oriented research on (a) the international experiences in the field of national, regional and local development, and (b) the European integration processes with special reference to the impact on regional regional development.
- Public Opinion Research Center (CBOS)
A publicly funded independent research centre. It is one of the largest and most renown public opinion institutes in Poland. CBOS conducts research to satisfy the needs of Polish public administration bodies and advertising agencies. The use the full range of data collection techniques, and are experience in panel survey methods.
Portugal - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Center for Social Studies (CES-UA) - University of the Azores
- Center for Social Studies (CES-UC) - University of Coimbra
- Centro de Estudos para a Interncenção Social (CESIS) - Lisbon
- Centro de Investigaçâo em Ciências Sociais (CICS) - University of Minho
- Centro de Investigaçâo em Ciências Sociais e Humanas (Númena) - Porto Salvo
- Centro de Investigaçâo e Estudos de Sociologia (CIES) - University of Lisbon
- Centro de Investigaçâo em Sociologia Económica e das Organizações (SOCIUS) - Technical University of Lisbon
- Institute of Sociology - University of Porto
- Instituto de Ciências Sociais (ICS) - University of Lisbon
- Instituto Superior de Ciências do Trabalho e da Empresa (ISCTE) - University of Lisbon
Institute of Labour and Business Studies.
- Interdisciplinary Centre of Social Sciences (CICS.NOVA) - Universidade Nova de Lisbao
- Research Centre for Migration and Intercultural Relations (CEMRI) - University Aberta, Lisbon
Romania - Associations | Databasis | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Institute for Quality of Life (ICCV)
Established in 1990 under the aegis of the Romanian Academy and the National Institute for Economic Research. Each year the Institute diagnoses the quality of life in Romania. It also conduct empirical research on alternative solutions to the main social and economic problems of present day Romania.
Russia - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Centre for Independent Social Research
- Institute of Sociology - Russian Academy of Science (RAS)
Research is concentrated on transformational social processes in Russia in the context of global social change.
- Northern Caucasus Research Institute of Economic and Social Problems
The leading centre for regional studies in the south of Russia. The institute several departments, such as Market Theory and Marketing Studies, Regional Management and Social Monitoring, Economics and Sociology of Education, and a Laboratory of Sociological Studies.
- Center for Social Research
Department of Sociology of the St.-Petersburg State University. It organizes and conducts research, including international comparative studies in the theory and practice of social work.
Scotland - Databasis | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Institute for Research and Innovation in Social Services (IRISS)
IRISS promotes positive outcomes for the people who use Scotland’s social services by enhancing the capacity and capability of the social services workforce to access and make use of knowledge and research for service innovation and improvement.
- ScotCen - Social Research that works for society - Edinburgh
ScotCen is an integral part of NatCen Social Research, Britain’s leading independent social research institute. ScotCen’s team of researchers based in Edinburgh combines methodological expertise with an in-depth knowledge of the Scottish policy context.
- Social Research - Scottish Government
Slovakia - Associations | Databasis | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
Slovenia - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- European Center for Ethnic, Regional and Sociological Studies (ECERS) - University of Maribor
Performs research of interethnic relations, regionalism and specific sociological issues, especially from the point of view of recent political changes in Central and Eastern Europe. It studies the activities of European international organizations and institutions and non-governmental organizations regarding human rights, protection of minorities and regionalism. The Center works under the patronage of the Permanent Conference of Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg.
Spain - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Centro de Estudios sobre la Identidad Colectiva (CEIC)
A research center for studies in collective identity and nationalism at the University of the Basque country, Spain.
- Centro de Investigaciones Sociológicas (CIS)
An autonomous state agency attached to the Office of the Presidency, whose purpose is to study Spanish society, primarily through survey based research. CIS survey data are entered in the CIS Data Bank, where they are available to all citizens three months after information coding and processing is completed.
Sweden - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Centre for Research on ethnic Relations and Nationalism (CEREN) - Helsinki
A centre for research and documentation in the field of ethnic relations and nationalism, based at the Swedish School of Social Science at the University of Helsinki. One of CEREN’s tasks is the co-ordination of the various teaching and research activities of the School in this field. CEREN's main interest is in developing postgraduate activities, on a national and international level, and in offering research links and information services concerning research on ethnic relations and nationalism in Finland.
- Nordregio - Nordic Centre for Spatial Development - Stockholm
A centre for research, education and documentation on spatial development, established by the Nordic Council of Ministers. The site includes top-quality statistical maps in Nordic countries.
Switzerland - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Institute for family research and counseling (IFF) - University of Freiburg
The Family Institute offers teaching classes, postgrade classe classes, counseling & single- or couple-therapy, organizes symposiums, workshops and promotes research in the field of family and couples.
- Swiss Academy for Development (SAD)
A research unit of the Swiss Academy for Development, Solothurn. The studies concentrates on the negative consequences of rapid social change as well as the resulting loss of orientation (anomie) and develops approaches for solutions.
Turkey - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Ankara Strategy Institute
independent think-tank organization established in 2011. It is distinguished from other think-tank organizations in Turkey with its analysts being all academicians.
- Turkish Economic and Social Studies Foundation (TESEV)
An independent nongovernmental think tank with a focus on analyzing social, political and economic policy issues facing Turkey. Based in Istanbul, TESEV was founded in 1994 to serve as a bridge between academic research and the policymaking process.
- Wikipedia: Turkish_think_thanks
Ukraine - Associations | Databasis | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- Computer Crime Research Center
A Ukrainian institute that has been created to conduct research into computer-related crime, to conduct seminars on the topic and to faciliate an international exchange of ideas on the topic.
- Kiev International Institute of Sociology (KISS)
A private Ukrainian-American joint research venture in colloboration with the University of Kiev-Mohyla Academy.
United Kingdom - Associations | Databases | Journals | Libraries | News Sources | Social Science Departments
- CASS - Centre for Applied Social Surveys
An ESRC Resource Centre run jointly by the SCPR and the University of Southampton, with the University of Surrey (UK). Provides short courses in survey methods and a survey Question Bank for use by social scientists and social researchers in the academic world, government, market research and the independent and voluntary sectors. The Question Bank contains information on how best to obtain standardised measures of human beings and their attributes using survey questionnaires. One of the main components are copies of questionnaires used in major UK social surveys. It provides easily accessed illustrations of how the topics with which they are grappling have been handled/measured in other professionally designed surveys. The Question Bank contains a large number of questions which have been used in major quantitative social surveys in the UK. The questions are all reproduced in their full original form, including any predetermined response categories, interviewer instructions, etc.
- Countryside and Community Institute (CCRI)
A rural research centre with programmes on rural community development, rural poverty, agri-environment policies, agri-tourism, local sustainability, rural recreation, and the planning system in the country side. The CCRI is a partnership between the University of the West of England, Hartpury College, Royal Agricultural College and the Countryside and Community Research Unit at the University of Gloucestershire.
- Centre for Research on Simulation in the Social Sciences (CRESS) - University of Surrey
A research centre which aims to increase awareness and use of simulation methods by social scientists. It provides a description of the activities of the centre: reviews of the potential of simulation in selected areas of the social sciences, short courses, advice and consultancy relating to simulation.
- Centre for Research in Social Policy (CRSP) - Loughborough University of Technology
- Centre for Social Anthropology and Computing - Ethnographics Gallery (CSAC)
Provides resources for anthropologists, and a toolkit of software.
- Centre for the Study of Public Policy (CSPP)
The CSPP specializes in comparative public policy research. Since 1991 it has developed a unique programme of cross-national cross-time surveys to monitor the transformation of post-Communist societies. In collaboration with the Paul Lazarsfeld Society, Vienna, more than 80 surveys have been completed and more are being planned. The survey research asks a common core of questions specially relevant to societies in transition. Topics covered include: economic enterprise and privatization, democratization, parties and elections, social protection & poverty, involvement in unofficial economies and demographic measures. Director: Richard Rose (University of Strathclyde).
- Highland Research Network (HRN)
A mailbase list to encourage interdisciplinary discussion and exchange on topics relating to the Scottish Highlands and Islands.
- Macaulay Land Use Research Institute (MLURI) - Aberdeen
The purpose of the Macaulay Institute is to develop systems of land use that will enable producers such as farmers and foresters to make a libing from the land while at the same time enhancing their role as stewards and guardians of the countryside.