- Social Science Research Council (SSRC)
An independent, nonprofit international organization founded in 1923. It nurtures new generations of social scientists, fosters innovative research, and mobilizes necessary knowledge on important public issues.
- Social Science Research Network (SSRN)
SSRN is devoted to the dissemination of social science research and is composed of a number of specialized research networks in each of the social sciences. Each of the networks encourages the early distribution of research results by publishing abstracts and by soliciting abstracts of top quality research papers around the world.
- CERIST - Centre de Recherche sur l'Information Scientifique et Technique
A French national information system on science and technology.
- CRASC - Centre de Recherche en Anthropologie Sociale et Culturelle
A national research centre for social and cultural anthropology based in Oran.
- CREAD - Centre d'Études et de Recherches en Economie Appliqueée pour le Dévoloppement
- Almishkat Centre for Research
An independent, non-commercial institution devoted to advancing kwowledge on contemporary Egypt, and Arab countries, through research in the social sciences, with emphasis on human development.
- Cairo Demographic Center (CDC)
The site provides listings of on-going and current research.
- Ibn Khaldoun Center for Democratic Studies (EICDS)
The main objective of the Center is to advance applied social sciences relating to Egypyt, the Arab World and the Third World. The center is particularly engaged in issues of democratization and civil society.
- Social Research Center (SRC) - American University in Cairo, Egypt
Conducts and encourages social science research in Egypt and the Middle East. The Center's research program is multidisciplinary and combines qualitative and quantitative approaches to inquiry. Emphasis in the Center's substantive program is on social structure, social problems, social change, and development.
- Center for Research and Development - Amoud University, Borama, Awdal
- Center for Family and Gender Studies - Amoud University, Borama, Awdal
- HSRC - Human Sciences Research Council of South Africa
The mission of the council is to facilitate problem sovlving and enhance decision making through research excellence in the human sciences. The HSRC pursues its mission by conductiong research in the following main areas: economic and social analysis, education and training and democracy and governance.
- SWOP - Sociology of Work Unit - University of The Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
A research unit which conducts high quality research in the area of work and industrial relations. Its origins lies in the close working relationship that developed between progressive intellectuals and the emerging labour movement in the eighties. Research activities are concentrated om the employment relationship and include a variety of forms of work, both paid and unpaid. SWOP also attempts to maintain communication and interaction with a broad range of actors within the world of work in particular, with organised labour, business, government and other research organisations.
- CEETUM - Centre d' Étude Ethniques de l'Université de Montréal
Center for Ethnic Studies, University of Montreal.
- CIRANO - Centre Interuniversitaire de Recherche en Analyse des Organisations
A multi-university/corporate research center on organizations, labor, finance, technology and management.
- CPRN - Canadian Policy Research Networks
Includes original material on family, health, work, and corporate projects.
- Metropolis - Montréal Centre for Inter-university Research on Immigration, Integration and Urban Dynamics.
- CRISES - Collectif de Recherche sur les Innovations Sociales dans les Entreprises et les Syndicats (French only)
- CRUS - Centre for Research in Urban Sociology
A not-for-profit organization, located in Toronto. It is the first organization of it's kind to bring about research, development and awareness of being urban in Canadian cities. The city is the most diverse place were people call home. Urbanization of social life is at the centre of social inquiry. The most frequent areas of study are urban housing, politics, intergroup relationships, class and stratification patterns, and economic structures and the nature of communities.
- GRASP - Groupe de Recherche sur les Aspects Sociaux de la Santé et de la Prévention
Research group on social aspects of health and prevention.
- IDRC -International Development Research Centre
A public corporation created by the Canadian government to help communities in the developing world find solutions to social, economic, and environmental problems through research. With some exellent links.
- MCD - Mondialisation, citoyenneté et démocratie
Canada research chair on globalization, citizenship and democracy.
- Ariel Center for Policy Research (ACPR)
The proposition of the ACPR is that "a peace which will force Israel to its pre-1967 borders, ... will not be but a recipe for war". It aims to clarify the paradox of the main watchword of the advocates of the peace process: 'territories for peace'.
- Floersheimer Institute for Policy Studies (FIPS) - Jerusalem
- Jerusalem Center for Public Affairs (JCPA) - Jerusalem
Focusses on "the re-Judaization of the individual Jew".
- Jerusalem Institute for Israel Studies (JIIS) - Jerusalem
- International Policy Institute for Counter-Terrorisme (ICT) - Herzliya
Analysis of background, organization, operations and effects of terrorism, and detailled information on counter-terrorist strategies and operations. It concentrates on the development of technological means, military doctrines, and general policy for counter terrorism.
- Myers-JDC-Brookdale Institute - Jerusalem
Israel's leading center for applied research on aging, health policy and social welfare. It has a division on aging, disability, health policy, immigrant absorption, and a center for children and youth.
- Shalem Center - Jerusalem
Research on Jewish social thought and Israeli public policy.
- Taub Center for Social Policy Studies in Israel - Jerusalem
- Centre for Aram Unity Studies (CAUS)
Focusses on the multifaceted and multiphased process of the unification of the Arab world.
- Lebanese Global Information Center
Lebanon, Land of the Cedars of the Lord: The Art, Nature, Entertainment Photos, Information, Tourism, Education, Food, Language and Lebanese Americans. History from Ancient Phoenicians to Modern Lebanon.
- CASSR - Center for Advanced Social Science Research - New York University
- CRS - Center for Rural Studies - University of Vermont
A nonprofit, fee-for-service research organization which addresses social, economic, and resource-based problems of rural people and communities. Based in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences at the University of Vermont (UVM).
- Center for the Study of Group Processes - University of Iowa
Concentrates on the discovery and analysis of general principles underlying group processes across diverse empirical settings, and on the interplay between individual
and group levels of analysis. The group processes area is inherently interdisciplinary. I it may subsume sociological work on status, public goods research by economists, political scientists' interests in the balance of power and deterrence in international settings, communications research on interpersonal strategies, organizational scholars' research on group decision making, and psychological work on social judgments. The role of group processes in human behavior is a fundamental, cross-cutting issue for the social sciences.
- CRMO - Center for Research on Military Organisation - University of Maryland, USA
- CSCS - Center for the Study of Communication and Society - University of Chicago
- CSI - Center for Civil Society International
An information clearinghouse focused on American voluntary organizations, nonprofits, and independent associations and their collaborations with similar organizations overseas. CCSI publishes materials both in print and electronically and distributes them worldwide. CCSI is a private, nonpartisan educational organization, based in Seattle, Washington, USA. The site includes the archive of Civil Society East and West, a bimonthly digest of news about important projects, events, resources and organizational developments of interest to those involved in third sector projects in the NIS. Each issue has sections on: Projects by U.S. Organizations in the NIS; Books, Training Materials and Other Resources; and NIS organizations.
- CSR - Center for Social Research - Lehigh University
A multidisciplinary organization designed to stimulate and conduct research involving the social and behavioral sciences.
- CSSPPR - Center for Social Sciences and Public Policy Research - Southwest Missouri State University
Applied and theoretical research in the social sciences and humanities.
- CSSR - Center for Social Science Research - George Mason University
One of their programs is the exploration of Virtual Worlds - 3D graphic social environments.
- CWCS - Center for Working-Class Studies
A multi-disciplinary teaching and research center devoted to the study of working-class life and culture. The Center's activities include an annual lecture series, biennial conference, and an on-line bibliography. Director: John Russo (Youngstown State University in Youngstown, Ohio).
- Directorate for Social, Behavioral and Economic Sciences at NSF
The Directorate at the NSF (National Science Foundation) supports research, international scientific collaboration and science statisticts. The ultimate goal: to advance scientific knowlegde. Here you find the Sociology program.
- Fernand Braudel Center
For the Study of Economies, Historical Systems, and Civilizations. Concentrated on the analysis of large-scale social change over long periods of historical time. Binghamton University, State University of New York.
- GRC - Gallup Research Center - University of Nebraska-Lincoln
It concentrates on all areas of survey research and quantitative methods, including public opinion, consumer and employee satisfaction, and data utilization in the workplace. The Center's research involves scholars from fields such as sociology, political science, educational measurement, statistics, journalism, and marketing.
- HMDC - Harvard - MIT Data Center
The pincipal distributor of quantitative social science data from major international data consortia.
- ICPSR - Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research - University of Michigan
- IRLE - Institute for Research on Labor and Employment - University of California Berkeley
- IPPSR - Institute for Public Policy and Social Research - University of Michigan
The mission of the Institute is to apply research to pressing public policy issues and to build problem-solving relationships between the academic and policy-maker communities. It conducts interdisciplinary research on issues of relevance to public policy; provides data services using surveys, evaluation, and electronic databases; produces public policy education and research programmes; engages in problem solving in areas of the most pressing social needs.It includes E*Space, a study of the economic, social, and political forces that shape application and use of information technology (IT), and the impact of IT on economy and society.
- IRIS - Center for Institutional Reform and the Informal Sector - University of Maryland, USA
Provides technical assistance & research analyses to groups seeking to improve laws, rules, and procedures in support of the development of competitive markets and democracy, in developing and transition economies.
- IRISS - Institute for Research in the Social Sciences - Stanford University
- IRLE - Institute for Research on Labor and Employment - University of California Berkeley
- IRSS - Institute for Research in Social Science - University of North Caraolina at Chapel Hill
- MIT - Massachusetts Institute of Technology
An independent, privately endowed, coeducational university located in Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA.
An American non-profit organisation that helps to improve (primarily American) public policy through research and analysis. Formed initially to carry out research on defence-based topics, current activities fall into the following categories: behavioral sciences, economics and statistics, health, education, and welfare, information sciences, international studies, management sciences, technology and applied sciences. The Labor and Population program covers 4 main areas of research: U.S. labour markets; changing demographic patterns in the USA; the social and economic functioning of the elderly; economic and social change in developing countries. The site gives details of RAND's organisation, activities, research, publications and educational opportunities.
A very large collection of topics, ideas, and assistance for school related research projects. They want to show you how to make the most of your time online. Find the best information available, eliminate frustration, and get better gradesÉ with Researchpaper.com! They offer an idea directory, a research central (where you can get advice about online research), a writing center (to improve the style and presentation of your reports), and a chat (when you want to take a study break and go for a chat).
- Roper Center for Public Opinion Research
The data held by the Roper Center provide a valuable resource for research in the social sciences. Two basic forms of data are available: overall distributions and information on individuals. Distributions: iPOLL is a database containing the exact wording and percentage distribution of responses for over 400,000 survey questions asked in the United States. Individual data: The Center holds over 10,000 data sets which researchers can use to conduct their own analysis. The holdings include well-known data sets such as the General Social Survey, the Social Capital Community Benchmark Surveys, and exit polls for Presidential elections from 1976 onwards.
- SIEPR - Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research - Stanford University
Its goal is to foster and support innovative, pragmatic
economic research yielding results useful to policymakers faced with difficult economic policy decisions.
- SSRC - Social Science Research Center - Ball State University
- SSRC - Social Science Research Center - DePaul University
- SSRC - Social Science Research Center - Fullerton
- SSRC - Social Science Research Center - Mississippi State University
- SSRI - Social Science Research Institute - Duke University
- SSRI - Social Science Research Intitute - University of Hawaii at Manoa
- SSRI - Social Science Research Institute - PennState University
- SSRN - Social Science Research Network
SSRN is evoted to the rapid worldwide dissemination of social science research and is composed of a number of specialized research networks in each of the social sciences. Each these networks encourages the early distribution of research results by publishing abstracts and by soliciting abstracts of top quality research papers around the world. The eLibrary consists of two parts: an Abstract Database containing abstracts on scholarly working papers and forthcoming papers and an Electronic Paper Collection containing downloadable full text documents in pdf format.
- SocioNet from the Sociometrics Corporation
A Californian research and development firm specializing in social science research applications. Sociometrics' research has focused on studying the antecedents and consequences of a variety of contemporary social issues, including: teenage pregnancy and parenthood; AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases; maternal drug abuse; the American family; growing old in america; and childrens, adolescents and adults physical and mental health status.
- UNESCO / MOST Management of Social Transformations (France)
A research programme established by UNESCO to promote international comparative social science research in three thematic priority areas: the management of change in multicultural and multi-ethnic societies; cities as arenas of accelerated social transformations; local and regional impact of global economic, technological and environmental processes. MOST seeks to promote large scale international projects that have a significant policy-relevance. MOST functions as a clearing house for the sharing of scientific information with decision-makers, and it has an important capacity-building function, including training seminars, the establishment of social science research centres in developing countries and the facilitating of data exchange.
- UNRISD - United Nations Research Institute for Social Development
Concentrates its studies to the relationship between social and economic development. The Institute attempts to provide governments, development agencies, grassroots organizations and scholars with a better understanding of how development policies and processes of economic, social and environmental change affect different social groups. UNRISD aims to promote original research and strengthen research capacity in developing countries. This takes the form of multi-country research (with an emphasis on developing countries), as well as action research in the areas of integrating gender into development planning and rebuilding war-torn societies. One of the highlights of the site is its War-Torn Societies Project, which contains a documents database with a searchable and browsable annotated bibliography of WSP collected literature. The main site also offers information about the organization and its activities, and a selection of electronic publications, as well as a browsable and searchable catalog of its publications. Note that portions of the site are available in multiple
- Institute for Advanced Studies (Vienna, Austria)
- IWM - Institut für die Wissenschaften vom Menschen (Vienna) [Institute for Human Sciences]
An independent, interdisciplinary institute for advanced study. Explore their research fellowships and their general program in East Central Europe.
- RLI - Rosa Luxemburg Institut
Association for Interdisciplinary Research & Praxis. A non-governemntal, non-profit organization, a free research institute and publishing house in Vienna, Austria. The women of this institute are interested in a science that takes the experiences of women in society seriously, be it at the work-place or in science, politics or cultural life. They seek to develop research in interest of women and actively resist the hitherto elimination and suppression of Women's expression in the sciences as well as the lack of concrete attention to our interests. In general, we promote research by and for women, without necessarily having to be scientists. They value constructive cooperation between women scientists, artists, journalists and all other interested women."
- ZAP - Zentrum für angewandte Politikforschung (Vienna)
Center for applied political research is an independent, non-university research institute, specialized in Austrian and European issues. (English and German versions).
- Social Trends
An initiative of the Institute of Sociology (Academy of Sciences of the Czech Republic), Prague School of Social Studies (Mararyk University, Brno, Faculty of Macroeconomics and Public Administration (University of Economics, Prague), Center of Educational Policy (Pedagogical Faculty, Charles University, Prague). The main goal is the publication of representatively prepared bi-annual reports published first in Czech and then also in English. These reports will map the development of the country from economic, social, demographic, and political standpoints. English and Czech versions.
- Danish National Istitute of Social Research, SFI
An independent governmental research institution affiliated to the Ministry of Social Affairs. The aim of the research undertaken by the institute is to provide a better understanding of social, economic and working conditions in the Danish society. The research area includes other national and international social conditions and development trends of significance to standard of living and living conditions in Denmark.
Sociology Departments |
Social Science Departments |
- ARTEC - Forschungszentrum Arbeit und Technik - University of Bremen
Fundamental research on the formation and cooperation problems in the relation between labor, technology and environment.
- ASI - Arbeitsgemeinschaft Sozialwissenschaftlicher Institute
The German coalition of social science institutes.
- DJI - Deutsche Jugendinstitut - München
The German Youth Institute is an independent social science research institute. It carries out application-oriented research and issues related to welfare services for children, youth, women and families. The institute also accompanies and evaluates practical work and provides services for the academic community, politicians and practitioners.
- EADTU - European Association of Distance Teaching Universities
- EMPAS - Institut für empirische und angewandte Soziology - University of Bremen
An independent institute for empirical and applied sociology that focusses on the study of processes of social change, the analysis of life course trajectories, and comparative sociology.
- FALL - Forschungsgruppe Altern und Lebenslauf - University of Berlin
A research project on aging and the life course. It conducts studies on the institutional and biographical processes of aging and the transition to retirement as well as on the social and political effects of demographic change. Director: Martin Kohli.
- FGW - Forschungsgruppe Wahlen - Mannheim
Institute for election analysis and society monitoring.
- FIFAS - Freiburger Institut für angewandte Sozialwissenschaft - Freiburg
The institute of applied social sciences focusses on social problems of urbanization.
- FISOZ - Forschungsinstitut für Soziologie - University of Cologne
Focusses on a broad range of topics: sociological theory, urban studies, deviant behavior, mass communication, social networks, social inequality, the conduct of everyday life and family sociology.
- GESIS - Gesellschaft Sozialwissenschaftlicher Infrastruktureinrichtungen
A great support site for social scientist. It supports research and cooperation with information on social science literature, research activities, and survey data as well as with consultation on methodological questions. GESIS is composed of three local centers: the Social Science Information Centre (Bonn), the Central Archive for Empirical Social Research (Cologne), and the Centre for Survey Research and Methodology (Mannheim). The GESIS-project has demonstrated what cleaver cooperation between social scientists (and their institutions) can achieve on the internet.
- GESOMED - Gesellschaft für sozialwissenschaftliche Forschung in der Medizin - Freiburg
An institute for social scientific research in health problems.
- GSFEV - Gesellschaft für sozialwissenschaftliche Frauenforschung - Frankfurt am Main
Association for women's and gender studies.
- GSFP - Gesellschaft für Sozialwissenschaftliche Forschung und Publizistik - Berlin
A research institute that was initiated by social scientist from East Berlin.
- IAT - Institut Arbeit und Technik - Wissenschaftszentrum Nordrhein-Westfalen [Institute for Work and Technology]
- Industrial Sociology & Sociological Technology Studies - Technological University Chemnitz
- IAW - Institut für Arbeitswissenschaft - Ruhr-Universität-Bochum
- IES - Institut für Entwicklungsplanung und Strukturforschung - University of Hannover
- IFAS - Institut für Angewandte Sozialforschung - University of Cologne
The Institute for applied social studies focusses on methodology and methods of empirical social research, international comparative studies, political sociology (i.e. studies on extreme radicalism), and city and regional planning.
- IFAV - Institut für angewandte Verbraucherforschung - Cologne
The Institute for Applied Consumer Research is dadicated to serving the interests of the consumer with practical research.
- IFB - Staatsinstitut für Familienforschung - University of Bamberg
Interdisciplinary institute for the family studies.
- Institute für Medizinische Soziologie und Sozialmedizin - University of Marburg
Department for medical sociology and social medicine.
- IMU - Institut für Medienforschung und Urbanistik
- ISA - Institut für Soziale Arbeit - Münster
- ISF Müchen - Institut für Sozialwissenschaftliche Forschung
ISF carries out research on new developments in society and within companies, especially such topics as rationalization and restructuring strategies (technology design, work organization), personnel and training policies and their effects on the labor market, the educational system, and industrial relations. The analyses are concerned with the link between applied and theoretical research, often from an internationally comparative perspective. For this reason, a number of projects are undertaken together with scientific institutes from other disciplines, including technical ones, with companies, as well as with experts from other countries.
- ISG - Institut für Sozialforschung und Gesellschaftspolitk - Cologne
Focussus on German and European social policy.
- ISI - Institut Systemtechnik und Innovationsforschung - Karlsruhe
The Institute for Systems and Innovation Research concentrates on the social and economic aspects of the techno-scientific sprectrum. It analysis technological developments, their market potentials and their impacts on economy, government and society.
- ISO - Institut zur Erforschung sozialer Chancen - Cologne
Focusses on problems of inequality of social chances, their origins and possibilities for reduction.
- ISO - Institut für Sozialforschung - Saarbrücken
The studies of the institute are concentrated on social organization of the company; technology, employment policy and labor relations; innovation and organizational change; the world of work and health; lifestyles at the end of the working society; people in old age.
- ISW - Institut für Sozialwissenschaften - Humbuldt University, Berlin
- IW - Institut für Welgesellschaft - Bielefeld
- IWG - Institute für Wirtschaft und Gesellschaft - Bonn
A private, academic research institute that stipulates scholarly research on social and economic issues and presentation of the results for applicable use in practice. Director: Meinhard Miegel.
- Lebensführung - Technological University Chemnitz
Social science research on the conduct of everyday life.
- Max Weber-Kolleg für kultur und sozialwissenschaftliche Studien - University of Frankfurt
An interdisciplinary research institute that focues on (a) religion, science and law as sources of interpretation and governance; (b) interaction between cultures, institutions, and mentalities in the wake of radical change, and (c) approaches to action theory relevant to cultural and social studies and their relationship to normative, especially ethical problems.
- MZES - Mannheim Centre for European Social Research
Its basic subject matter of research is the developed industrial societies and Western Europe in transition. The MZES research programme is, on the one hand, concerned with the comparative analysis of central differences between European societies at the nation state level. On the other hand, the programme is also concerned with the more global analysis of the process of European integration, in particular within the bounds of the European Union. The real innovative aspect of research at the MZES is to be found in the combination of comparative social research and the study of integration, both in terms of European societies and also European political systems.
- MPI - Max-Planck-Institut für Gesellschaftsforschung (Cologne, Germany).
The general theme of research at the Max Planck Institute for the Study of Societies is the conditions under which modern societies may be able to solve problems through collective action. The research program concentrates on the historical conditions which (1) limit the effectiveness of merely national solutions, (2) increase the importance of public and private transnational and supranational governance, and (3) increase the importance of interaction effects between national systems of governance.
- OSI - Otto-Suhr-Institut für Politikwissenschaft - Free University Berlin
A research institute for political sciences, directed by Dagmar Vinz.
- SFS - Sozialforschungsstelle Dortmund
A prominent institute on labor research, assigned to the Ministry of Science and Research of North-Rhine Westphalia. It also provides expert advice on new production concepts. the introduction of ecoaudits, consequences of multimedia technologies, womenspecific labour market policy, and health policy.
- SFZ - Sozialwissenschaftliches Forschungszentrum Berlin
- Brandenburg e.V.
- SKB - Streitkräftebasis
Sozialwissenschaftliches Institut der Bundeswehr - Stuttgart
- SOFI - Soziologische Forschungsinstitut - Universität Göttingen
- WSI - Wirtschafts- und Sozialwissenschaftliche Institut - Hans-Böckler-Stiftung
A trade-union friedly research institute that focusses on the scientific study of practical policy problems in labor market, democracy and economy.
- WZB - Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin für Sozialforschung [Science Center Berlin]
Basic social science research is conducted in selected problem areas under the general theme of "Developmental Trends, Problems of Adaptation, and Possibilities for Innovation in Modern Democratic Societies." WZB research is focused on issues that the decision-making community and society at large have a special interest in soiving. German and English version. These are some of research units of the WZB:
Eduction, Work and Life Chances, Markets and Political Economy, Society and Economic Dynamics, Civil Society, Conflicts and Democracy.
- ZA - Zentralarchiv für Empirische Sozialforschung - University of Cologne
The Central ARchive archives primary material data, questionnaires, code plans and results of empirical studies in order to prepare them for secondary analysis and to make them available to the interested public.
- ZES - Zentrum für Sozial Politik - University of Bremen
Research on social and health policy and on the history and institutions of the welfare state.
- ZIMOS - Zentralinstitut für Ost- und Mitteleuropastudien [Central Institute for Eastern and Central European Studies]
The Institute's research projects and scientific cooperative activties focus predominanty on the areas of contemporary history and the history of thought in the countries of the former Eastern bloc. Special emphasis is devoted to current transformation processes in economy, culture and society as well as to the processing of archival material available since the political turn, which has generated a broad documentary basis for research on the more recent history of central and eastern Europe.
Soziologische Institute und Forschungseinrichtungen [Regensburg]
- Eurispes - Institute for the study of political economy and sociology
Annual portrays of the Italian society and scientific studies on a diversity of social issues.
- ISIG - Instituto di Sociologia Internazionale di Gorizia
A non-profit cultural institution that concentrate on "international sociology". It carries out studies and researches and organizes conferences on the problems of the relations between states, nations, and ethnic groups and on the cultural, economic and social development of the populations.
- Fondazione Istituto Gramsci
The Foundation carries out its activities in the fields of historical and philosophical research, organisation of conferences and symposia, publications and training. The Foundation regularly publishes its Annali and the quarterly journal Studi storici. The Archives of the Foundation focus on the records of the Italian Communist Party (1921-1991). The Library of the Foundation holds over 100,000 printed volumes, especially in the historical field, and a collection of over 4,400 periodical publications. (Italian and English version).
- Laboratorio di Ricerca Sociale
Laboratory of Social Research of the Department of Social Sciences, University of Pisa. There's an on line journal, The Lab's Quarterly.
- The European Institute for Local and Regional Development (EUROREG) - University Warsaw.
The institute conducts policy-oriented research on (a) the international experiences in the field of national, regional and local development, and (b) the European integration processes with special reference to the impact on regional regional development.
- Public Opinion Research Center (CBOS)
A publicly funded independent research centre. It is one of the largest and most renown public opinion institutes in Poland. CBOS conducts research to satisfy the needs of Polish public administration bodies and advertising agencies. The use the full range of data collection techniques, and are experience in panel survey methods.
- Institute for Quality of Life (ICCV)
Established in 1990 under the aegis of the Romanian Academy and the National Institute for Economic Research. Each year the Institute diagnoses the quality of life in Romania. It also conduct empirical research on alternative solutions to the main social and economic problems of present day Romania.
- ECERS - European Center for Ethnic, Regional and Sociological Studies (University of Maribor)
Performs research of interethnic relations, regionalism and specific sociological issues, especially from
the point of view of recent political changes in Central and Eastern Europe. It studies the activities of European international organizations and institutions and non-governmental organizations regarding human rights, protection of minorities and regionalism. The Center works under the patronage of the Permanent Conference of
Local and Regional Authorities of the Council of Europe in Strasbourg.
- CEIC - Centro de Estudios sobre la Identidad Colectiva
A research center for studies in collective identity and nationalism at the University of the Basque country, Spain.
- CIS - Centro de Investigaciones Sociológicas
An autonomous state agency attached to the Office of the Presidency, whose purpose is to study Spanish society, primarily through survey based research. CIS survey data are entered in the CIS Data Bank, where they are available to all citizens three months after information coding and processing is completed.
- Centre for Research on ethnic Relations and Nationalism (CEREN) - Helsinki
A centre for research and documentation in the field of ethnic relations and nationalism, based at the Swedish School of Social Science at the University of Helsinki. One of CEREN's tasks is the co-ordination of the various teaching and research activities of the School in this field. CEREN's main interest is in developing postgraduate activities, on a national and international level, and in offering research links and information services concerning research on ethnic relations and nationalism in Finland.
- Nordregio - Nordic Centre for Spatial Development - Stockholm
A centre for research, education and documentation on spatial development, established by the Nordic Council of Ministers. The site includes top-quality statistical maps in Nordic countries.
- ARC - anomie research
A research unit of the Swiss Academy for Development, Solothurn. The studies concentrates on the negative consequences of rapid social change as well as the resulting loss of orientation (anomie) and develops approaches for solutions.
- Institute for family research and counseling - University of Freiburg
The Family Institute offers teaching classes, postgrade classe classes, counseling & single- or couple-therapy, organizes symposiums, workshops and promotes research in the field of family and couples.
- Arkleton Centre for Rural Development Research - University of Aberdeen
The main focus of research is on the human dimensions of rural development. The research of the centre covers issues such as the dynamics of change in rural areas; rural migration and mobility patterns; the diversity of rurality; sustainable rural development; community involvement in rural development; rural poverty and disadvantage.
- CASS - Centre for Applied Social Surveys
An ESRC Resource Centre run jointly by the SCPR and the University of Southampton, with the University of Surrey (UK). Provides short courses in survey methods and a survey Question Bank for use by social scientists and social researchers in the academic world, government, market research and the independent and voluntary sectors. The Question Bank contains information on how best to obtain standardised measures of human beings and their attributes using survey questionnaires. One of the main components are copies of questionnaires used in major UK social surveys. It provides easily accessed illustrations of how the topics with which they are grappling
have been handled/measured in other professionally designed surveys. The Question Bank contains a large number of questions which have been used in major quantitative social surveys in the UK. The questions are all reproduced in their full original form, including any predetermined response categories, interviewer instructions, etc.
- CCRI - Countryside and Community Institute -
A rural research centre with programmes on rural community development, rural poverty, agri-environment policies, agri-tourism, local sustainability, rural recreation, and the planning system in the country side. The CCRI is a partnership between the University of the West of England, Hartpury College, Royal Agricultural College and the Countryside and Community Research Unit at the University of Gloucestershire.
- CRESS - Centre for Research on Simulation in the Social Sciences - University of Surrey
A research centre which aims to increase awareness and use of simulation methods by social scientists. It provides a description of the activities of the centre: reviews of the potential of simulation in selected areas of the social sciences, short courses, advice and consultancy relating to simulation.
- CRSP - Centre for Research in Social Policy (Loughborough University of Technology, UK)
- CSAC - Centre for Social Anthropology and Computing - Ethnographics Gallery
Provides resources for anthropologists, and a toolkit of software.
- CSPP - Centre for the Study of Public Policy
The CSPP specializes in comparative public policy research. Since 1991 it has developed a unique programme of cross-national cross-time surveys to monitor the transformation of post-Communist societies. In collaboration with the Paul Lazarsfeld Society, Vienna, more than 80 surveys have been completed and more are being planned. The survey research asks a common core of questions specially relevant to societies in transition. Topics covered include: economic enterprise and privatization, democratization, parties and elections, social protection & poverty, involvement in unofficial
economies and demographic measures. Director: Richard Rose (Univ. of Strathclyde, UK).
- HRN - Highland Research Network
A mailbase list to encourage interdisciplinary discussion and exchange on topics relating to the Scottish Highlands and Islands.
- MLURI - Macaulay Land Use Research Institute - Aberdeen
The purpose of the Macaulay Institute is to develop systems of land use that will enable producers such as farmers and foresters to make a libing from the land while at the same time enhancing their role as stewards and guardians of the countryside.
- ACS - Amsterdam Center for Conflict Studies
a university wide initiative for the interdisciplinary study of conflict and conflict resolution. The network foresees in cooperation between scientists and professionals in the areas of education, research and the external exchange of knowledge.
- AIAR - Amsterdam Institute for Addiction Research
- AIAS - Amsterdams Instituut voor Arbeidsstudies
- AISSR - Amsterdam Institute for Social Science Research
- AME - Amsterdam Institute for the Metropolitan and International Development Studies
A socio-economic research institute on cities and regions.
- Applied Logic Laboratory
Center for Computer Science in Organization and Management (Amsterdam).
- CEDRO - Centrum voor Drugsonderzoek - Amsterdam
The Centre for Drug Research ceased to exist as an independent drug research institution per january 2004 and proceeded to finnish ongoing projects and articles. Most of the CEDRO work (theoretical and epidemiological) is still available on the CEDRO website.
- Centrum voor Duitsland-Studies - Nijmegen
German studies Institute.
- CHEPS - Center for Higher Education Policy Studies - Enschede
- Clingendael - Netherlands Institute of International Relations - The Hague
- COBRA - Interuniversity Research Institute on Communication Technology
The Dutch National Centre for research and education on enabling communication technologies.
- CVO - Centrum voor Verslavingsonderzoek - Utrecht
Addiction Research Institute
- CWTS - Centre for Science and Technology Studies (Leiden)
- ERCOMER - The European Research Centre on Migration and Ethnic Relations
A multidisciplinary research institute devoted to the specialist study of migration and ethnic relations at a European level. Based at Utrecht University (Netherlands) it brings together researchers with a special interest in these issues, to initiate new projects, to provide advanced training and to promote the dissemination of relevant information and research results. The current research-related staff is 25, drawn from seven member states of the European Union.
- ICS - Interuniversity Center for Social Science Theory and Methodology
Research Center and Graduate SchoolUniversities of Groningen, Utrecht and Nijmegen.
- IMES - The Institute for Intigration and Ethnic Studies
IMES is an interdisciplinary research institute based in the Faculty of Political and Socio-Cultural Sciences (PSCW) of the University of Amsterdam. It's aims are to promote, coordinate and carry out research in the field of migration and ethnic studies.
- Institute of Gender Studies - Radboud University
An independent bureau which carries out social scientific research and provides policy advice. The research is concerned with socially relevant questions which demand clear answers in a short time period. Intraval has built up a reputation in the area of policy research. Research and advice are concentrated addiction, livability welfare and youth.
- ISCORE -Institute for the Study of Cooperative Relations
Research institute at the Department of Sociology, Utrecht University. It carries out research on decentralized mechanisms for cooperation in durable two-party relationships ("management of matches"). Applications refer to three types of matches: interfirm relations, coalition governments, and relations between members in households.
- ISEO - Instituut voor Sociologisch-Economisch Onderzoek
Recearch center concentrating on social inequalities, with special interest for ethnic minorities. The ISEO is embedded in the Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- ISG - Internationaal Instituut voor Sociale Geschiedenis
Research and Documentation Center for Social History.
- ISS - Institute of Social Studies
The Hague. An international graduate school of social science teaching, research and advisory work in the field of development studies. The research programme emphasizes fundamental and applied policy-oriented issues.
- ITS - Instituut voor Toegepaste Sociologie
Institute for Applied Sociology. Themes are education, labor and organization, justice and police, welfare and health, traffic, town and city planning, environmental planning.
- IVO - Instituut voor onderzoek naar Leefwijzen & Verslaving
The Addiction Research Institute Foundation acquires and transfers scientific knowledge about the addiction problem.
- KNAW - Koninklijke Nederlandse Academie van Wetenschappen
Royal Dutch Academy of Sciences.
- MERIT - Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation
- MSM - Maastricht School of Management
- NIAS -Netherlands Institute for Advanced Study in the Humanities and Social Sciences
The NIAS offers scholars who have already made a significant contribution to their field are given the opportunity to devote themselves exclusively to their own academic projects for a ten-month period, individually or as part of a research theme group.
- Netherlands Institute of Human Rights - Studie- en Informatiecentrum Mensenrechten (SIM).
A centre of human rights research in the Netherlands that conducts and promotes research and collects relevant documentation concerning all human rights. English and Dutch version.
- NiDi - Netherlands Interdisciplinary Demographic Institute
An independent institute engaged in the scientific study of population. Research aims to contribute to the description, analysis, explanation or prediction of demographic trends in the past, the present and the future. Also the determinants and consequences of these trends for society in general, and policy in particular are studied. NIDI research is characterized by its interdisciplinary approach and international orientation.
- NIPO - Market Research Institute
The largest full-service marketing research agency in the Netherlands.
- NOA - Nederlands Onderzoekscentrum Arbeidsmarkt en Allochtonen
Research center Labor Market and Immigrants. Department of labor and organizational pychology, Free University, Amsterdam.
- Nuffic - Dutch organization for international co-operation in higher education
Nuffic has three departments working to facilitate development cooperation: in the higher education sector; in the research sector and CESO, which specializes in formal and informal education at all levels in developing countries.
- NWO - Nederlandse Organisatie voor Wetenschappelijk Onderzoek
Netherlands Organization for Scientific Research. The largest organization for fundamental and strategic research in the Netherlands. It stimulates, initiates and coordinates top-level research, which is carried out in Dutch universities and a number of national research institutes. (Dutch and English version).
- OTB - Research Institute for Policy and Technology
A professional research organisation conducting housing and urban policy research. OTB draws on the technical sciences, policy analysis, management science and informatics. The most important policy fields in which it is involved are housing, urban renewal, building and real estate management, urban policy and environmental planning, land use, environmental protection, infrastructure, traffic and transport, construction policy, and land information. From Delft University of Technology.
- Posthumus Institute
Research Institute and Graduate School on economic and social history in the Netherlands and Flanders.
An independent specialist within the field of applied politcy research with a strong reputation for tailor-made and high quality work.
- RSM Erasmus University
Rotterdam School of Management.
- RVB - Research voor Beleid
- School of Human Rights Research (Onderzoekschool Rechten van de Mens)
An inter-university alliance, a joint effort of the Faculty of Law and the Faculty of Humanities of Utrecht University, and the Faculties of Law of Maastricht University, Erasmus University of Rotterdam and the Catholic University of Brabant. The Research School comprises a communal/collective research and training programme, and aims to unite researchers in the field of human rights. The central research theme is the nature and meaning of international standards in the field of human rights, their application and promotion within the national legal order, and the international supervision of such application.
- SISWO (Institute for Social Sciences)
An inter-universersitary service organization that stimulates and supports research in the social sciences. Actual information can be read in the general newsletter FACTA.
- TNI - Transnational Institute
An international network of activist-scholars concerned to analyse and find viable solutions to such global problems as: militarism and conflict; poverty and marginalisation; social injustice; environmental degradation.
A Dutch Organization for Applied Scientific Research.
- Trimbos Instituut
The national knowledge institute for mental health care, addiction care and social work. (English and Dutch versions)
- TSM - Business School Twente
dr. Albert Benschop
Social & Behavioral Studies
University of Amsterdam
23rd May, 2013