- Abercrombie, Nicholas
Department of Sociology, Lancester University, UK.
- Academic Blog Portal
The academic blogosphere is a kind of «invisible college». Its all «work in progres» and will remain that way. On this wiki-site users can themselves add blogs and other forms of content that may be useful to academic bloggers.
- Aldrich, Howard
Department of Sociology, University of Nort Carolina at Chapel Hill, USA.
- Anderson, Ron - Sociological Eye |
A blog that uses the lens of sociology to shed light on world problems and give perspective to Amerian society and the American character. Anderson is Prof. Emeritus of sociology at the University of Minnesota.
- Andriot, Angie - Wicked anomie: sociology run amok
A graduate student from the USA reports on her armchair advantures from the ivory tower.
- Anklam, Patti - Making networks work at word and in the world
An independent consultant with expertise in collaboration practices, social network analysis, value network analysis, and knowledge management systems strategy and architecture.
- Anthropology News - American Anthropological Association (AAA)
- Anthropology in the News - Texas A&M University, USA.
- Arbeitsgemeinschaft Social Media - Germany
- Axelrod, Robert
Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, University of Michigan, USA.
- Baigorii, Artemio |
A sociologist at the University of Extremadura, Badajoz, Spain.
- Baker, Wayne - Our Values
Baker works at the University of Michigan Ross School of Business and is specialized in researching the question of values. He tries to help people more clearly understand the core beliefs and desires that motivate us and shape our vision of the world around us.
- Becker, Howard S. - Howies home page |
Professor of Sociology, University of California, Santa Barbara, USA.
- Benschop, Albert - Peculiarities of Cyberspace |
Department of Sociology, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- Bellah, Robert N.
Department of Sociology, University of California, USA.
- Berger, Peter A. |
Dept. of Sociology, University of Rostock, Germany.
- Bertram, Hans |
Micro sociology, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Booker, Martin - Homo Sociologicus
University of Edinburgh, UK.
- Boronoev, Asalkhan Olzonovich
Department of Theory & History of Sociology, St.-Petersburg State University, Russia.
- Blug, Mont - A Backstage Sociologist
- Brake, David - blog.org - UK
Daily updates on the internet and its social and public policy implications useful websites, political/cultural musings.
- Brauer, Chris - Media Project
Goldschmiths College, London, UK
- Brian, Éric
Centre Maurice-Halbwachs, Paris, France
- Briatte, François
University of Lille, France.
- Bridges, Jennifer L. - Random Rants and Ravings
University of Texas, USA
- Bridges, Tristan - Inequality by (Interior) Design
- Brockport Sociology
A blog maintained by the Sociology Department at The College at Brockpost, State University of New York, USA.
- Brown, Cliff
Department of Sociology, University of New Hampshire, USA.
- Bry, François -Erlebt - Munich, Germany
- Burton-Cartledge, Phil - A Very Public Sociologist - UK
Interested in a sociology with a militant twist? This is the place to look.
- Burt, Ronald, S. |
Professor of Sociology and Strategy, University of Chicago, USA.
- Camus, Christophe - soci & archi - France
Thinking about the sociology of architecture.
- Castellani, Brian - Sociology and Complexity Blog
Kent State University, USA.
- Castells, Manuel |
- Chauvel, Louis - University of Luxembourg
- Citings and Sightings
This blog scans the journals and tracks the media for the best in cutting edge social science. It is served up in a consice, snappy style. Editors: Shannon Golden, Kyle Green, Jeremy Minyaard, Hollie Nyseth and Sarah Shannon.
- Cohen, Philip N. - Family Inequality
University of Maryland, College Park, USA.
- Colombi, Denis - Une heure de peine - France
- Comas, Jordi - The Nets We Weave
Bucknell University, USA.
- Communication and Information Technologies
CITASA is a section of the American Sociological Association (ASA). It supports research, teaching and other professional activities related tot the social aspects of computing, the internet, new media, computer networks, and other communication and information technologies.
- Content Analysis
- Contexts Discoveries
A blog associated with Contexts, a quarterly magazine that makes cutting-edge social research accessible to general readers.
- Coulmont, Baptiste - France
- Coulmont, Baptiste - University of Paris 8, Vincennes (Saint-Denis), France
- Cranky Sociologists, The
- Schepflin, Todd - Creative Sociology - Niagara University
- Crooked Timber, Out of the
- Davies, Will - Potlatch
- Deflem, Mathieu | - University of South Carolina, USA
A sociology blog with musings on the discipline and profession of sociology. The objectives of this blog are entirely educational and scholarly.
- Desplan Fabrice - Sociologiser - France
- Deuze, Mark |
Mediastudies at University of Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Dinekes Anthropological Blog
- Disgruntled Sociologist, The
Dont expect normal sociological discourse, this one (an anonymous he or she) just wants to vent and grumble about the state of sociological research.
- Dores, António Pedro |
A prison sociologist form Spain.
News on ethnology, social and cultural anthropology and cyberanthropology. Editors: staf of the Institut für Ethnologie und Afrikanistik in München, Germany.
- Elwell, Frank
Murray State University, USA.
- Ethis, Emmanuel - France
- Etzioni, Amitai - George Washington University, USA
Personal and communitarian reflections of a grand master of sociology.
The first site for scientific news since 1996, including a section for the social sciences. Published by the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Fath, Sébastien - France
A blog on religion, secularization and diversity.
- Fer, Yannick - France
A blog on the sociology of christianity and evangelical movements.
- Fernandez, Fabrice - Santé et problèmes sociaux - France
- Fischer, Claude S. - Made in America - University of California, Berkeley, USA
Notes on American life from American history.
- Fleissner, Peter |
European Monitoring Centre on Racism and Exenophobia (EUMC), European Union, Vienna, Austria.
- Fürstenberg, Friedrich
Universität Bonn, Germany.
Biography, complete bibliography as well as information about research and samples from publications concerning social strcuture, sociology of work, sociology of religion and own research in Japan (Text in German).
- Gasquet, Béatrice de
Sociology lecturer at the University Paris Diderot. She is specialized in gender and religion.
- Gauchat, Gordon - Logic, Sociology, and Pragmatism - Princeton, USA.
- Geer, Benjamin - Research in my eye [Arabic]
A historian/sociologist who works at the Middle East Institute (Mei) at the National University of Singapore.
- Geser, Hans
Sociological Institute, University of Zurich, Switzerland.
- Gesser, Chad M. - The Sociology Blog - Owensboro Community and Technical College, USA
A sociology teacher who writes primarily for his students, colleagues and friends, and for himself. The blog contains articles, research, and other information that highlight concepts in the field of sociology.
- Giddens, Anthony
Emeritus Professor London School of Economics, UK.
- Gimenez, Martha E.
Sociological Institute, University of Colorado at Boulder, USA.
- Global Sociology Blog, The
Editor: Ryan Geyer, sociology teacher at a large Midwestern community college in the USA.
- Godechot, Olivier - France
- Gombin, Joël - Politiques, Ecologies, Mobilités, Réreseaux - France
- Gordy, Eric - East Ethnia
The editor is a political sociologist teaching at the School of Slavonic and East European Studies (SSEES) of the University College London, UK.
- Granado, António - PhDweblogs - Portugal
An attempt to bring together all the weblogs of PhD students from around the world.
- Greer-Pitt, Sue - Sociological Stew - Community College of Kentucky, USA
A passionateley opiniated sociologist, with a great motto: If humans do it, its fair game to sociology.
- Groupe fmr (flux, matrices, réseaux) - France
The main objective of this blog is to monitor network analysis and the development of collaborative tools analysis. It also aims to popularize the concepts, methods and tools of network analysis.
Editors: Laurant Bauguitte, Françoise Bahoken, Matthew Drevelle, Serge Lhomme, Marion Maisonobe.
- Guenther, Tina - sozlog - Otto-Friedrich-University of Bamberg, Germany
Her research interests and publications focus on economic and organizational sociology, knowledge, communication and social media.
- Hargittai, Esther - Princeton, USA
Thoughts and comments about sociology, internet, academia, teaching, research, books and movies to current events, and some funny stuff.
- Harrington, Brooke - Economic Sociology - Copenhagen Business School, Denmark
A blog that explores the social underpinnings of money and markets. It seeks to repair the gap between the disciplines of sociology and economics.
- Harris, Dave & Colleagues - AraSite
College of St. Mark and St. John.
- Have, Paul ten
Specialized in qualitative research (conversation analysis) and ethomethodology. University of Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Hdez, Christian - Sociología Contemporánea |
- Healy, Kieran - University of Arizona, USA
Social commentary from a sociologist of the Kenan Institute for Ethics at Duke University, USA.
- Heidensohn, Frances
Sociology Department, London School of Economics (LSE), UK.
- Hellmann, Kai-Uwe - Commercial Communities
Department of Sociology, Technical University of Berlin, Germany.
- Hirschman, Dan - A (Budding) Sociologists Commonplace Book - University of Michigan, USA.
- Human Rights - American Anthropological Association (AAA)
A forum to discuss human rights issues in anthropology. It tries to mobilize anthropologists for the support of human rights.
- Humer, Stephan - InternetSoziologie - Germany
- INCITE - UK
An incubator for critical inquiry into technology and ethnography, based at the University of Surrey. Researchers report on methodological and theoretical matters, and discuss their various research projects as they progress. Director: Nina Wakeford.
- Internetforschung - University of Vienna, Austria
A blog from an interdisciplinary internet research group.
- Iran Sociology
Sociological analyses of socio-cultural and developmental problems of Iran. The author chastises the -increasing- lack of respect for basic human rights in Iran. The Iranian authorities have systematically suppressed freedom of expression and opinion since April 2000. And since 2005 the respect for basic human rights in Iran, especially freedom of expressio and opinion, has deteriorated considerably. Editor: T,A.
- Jensen, Jakob Linaa - Aarhus, Denmark
A research diary and general thoughts about internet, democracy, society, and ...
- Jokisch, Rodrigo
Dept. of Political and Social Sciences, Universidad Nacional Autónoma de Mexico.
- Keel, Robert O.
Department of Sociology, University of Missouri-St.Louis, USA.
- Koehler, Benedikt - Viralmythen - Munich, Germany
- Krohn, Todd - The Power Elite
- Larson, Jeff - Dried Sage - Tucson, Arizona, USA
- Larvatus Rodeo - Australia
An Australian group blog which discusses politics, sociology, culture, life, religion and science from a left of centre perspective.
- Le, C.N. - University of MA, Amherst, USA.
- Lemieux, Cyril - France
- Lena, Jennifer C. - What Is The What - Vanderbilt University, USA.
- Levine, David K.
Department of Economics, Washington University in St. Louis, USA.
- Lindenberg, Siegwart Michael
Professor of Theoretical Sociology, University of Groningen, Netherlands.
- Little, Daniel - Understanding Society - University of Michigan-Dearborn, USA.
- Loose, Joachim
Institut für Soziologie, Friedrich Schiller Universität, Jena, Germany.
- Lupton, Deborah - This Sociological Life - University of Sydney, Australia
- Luster, Jonas M.
We share his love for Frankfurt, and for the SocioSite.
- Marx, Gary T.
Professor Emeritus M.I.T. Articles on social control, social movements and mass behavior, race relations and the academic profession.
- Mauco, Olivier - Game in Society - France
A blog dedicated to video gavoming in society.
- Maura, Pierre - Comprendre | - France
- Media Policy @ LSE
A group weblog on media of the Department of Media & Communications at the London School of Economics.
An inquiry into social networks and social relationships among people in complex organizations.
- Memoires of a SLACer
The author is John, a pseudonymous assistant professor at a small liberal arts college (SLAC).
- Mercklé, Pierre - France
- Miskolci, Richard - Corpo Identidades e Subjectivações
Saõ Paulo, Brasil.
- Montclair SocioBlog
Editors: Yasemin Besen, Jay Lvingston, and Faye Allard.
- Monkey Cage, The
The authors are John Sides (GW), Erik Voeten (Georgetown), Andrew Gelman (Columbia), Joshua Tucker (NYU), Henry Farrell (GW). They are all professors of political science in the USA. The motto: Democracy is the art of running the circus from the monkey cage [H.L. Mencken].
- Moloney, Molly - Santa Barbara, CA, USA.
- Montclair SocioBlog - Montclair State University, Sociology Department
- Moskos, Peter C. - Cop in the Hood
- Muchielli, Laurant - Délinquance, justice et autres questions de société - France
A personal blog on Crime, justice and other social issues.
- Nielson Michael - PsyRel - Georgia Southern University, USA
Research, news and commentary on the social-psychological study of religion.
- LObservatoire des Inégalités - France
Rising inequality is a serious trheat to our society. The Observatory Inequality tries to help all those who are fighting against the deterorisating social situations and give them the means of quality information.
- Old and Wise - Sociology - Korea
The science of association is the mother science; the progress of all the others depends on the progress of that one [Alexis de Tocqueville].
- Office Hours - University of Minnesota, USA
Conversations with the top social scientists about theri research and the social world. Editors: Jesse Wozniak, Arturo Baiocchi, Sarah Lageson and Jon Smajda.
- Oorschot, Wim van
Department of Sociology, Tilburg University, Netherlands.
- Organizations, Occupations and Work
A blog of the section of the American Sociological Association.
- Outhwaite, William
Newcastle University, UK.
- Permutations. The authors are united by a common interest in using mathematics to understand social life.
Official blog of the Mathematical Section of the ASA
- Prairie Sociology - University of Illinois, USA
This blog is hosted by 19 grad and faculty sociologists at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign to discuss public sociologies, public affairs, and publics more generally.
Expect lots óf sociology, political commentary, and frenetic ramblings instigated by current dissertation-finishing, cross-country-moving, and first-real-job-pressure.
- Public Affairs - American Anthropological Association (AAA)
- Public Criminology
Editors: Chris Uggen, Michelle Iderbitzin and Sara Wakefield.
- Purse Lip Square Jaw - Anne Golloway (University of Carleton, Ottawa, Canada)
A PhD research in the sociology of virtual spaces: social and cultural theory, mobile technologies, desing and other things that catches her interest. This may be the importance of forgetting, the international fashion machines, or the design of hackability.
- Quanti - Oliver Godechot & Pierre Mercklé
A blog that aims to promote and support the use of qunatitative methodes in social sciences. Oliver Godechot is a resarcher at the Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS) and member of the Centre Maurice Halbwachts (CMH). Pierre Mercklé is a lecturer in sociology at the École Normale Supérieure (ENS in Lyon, member of the Groupe de recherche sur la socialisation (GRS), and founder of liens Socio, the French news portal for social sicences.
- Racism Review
A blog of scholars and researchers from sociology and other sociale science disciplines. They are seeking solid evidence-based research and analysis of race, racism, ethnicity, and immigration issues.
- Ragin, Charles
University of Arizona, USA.
- Rath, Jan |
Institute for Migration & Ethnic Studies (IMES), Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Ray, Larry |
Professor of Sociology, University of Kent, UK.
- Rimbert, Gerard - Resources en sociologie - France
- Resnick, Paul - Occasional Musings
School of Information, University of Michigan, USA.
- Ridener, Larry R.
Dept. of Sociology and Anthropology, Radford University, USA.
- Rethinking Markets
- Rossman, Gabriel - Code and Culture
- Roth, Al |
Professor of Economics and Business Administration, Harvard Economics Department and Harvard Business School, USA.
- Rubinfeld, Mark |
Dept. of Sociology, Wesminster College, Salt Lake City, USA.
- Rural Sociology - Wageningen, Netherlands
It studies the dynamics of rural and regional development processes in Europe. Specific attention is paid to the different levels at which transformation processes occur and are shaped, as well as to the different actors and institutions involved. The Rural Sociology Group studies and analyses these transformation processes from an interpretative-explanatory sociological perspective, combining qualitative and quantitative research methods.
A cooperative blog with contributions from Jessica Colet (Notre Dame), Tina Fetner (McMaster), Jeremy Freese (Northwestern), Shamus Khan (Columbia), Dan Myers (Notre Dame), and Andrew Perrin (North Carolina).
- Schrag, Zachary M. - Institutional Review Blog - Mason University, USA
- Schussman, Alan
Writes about his academic work (a PhD in sociology), politics, and life in the desert.
- Science Blog
Started in August 2002 by Ben Sullivan. It is published by a team of science editors, writers, and enthusiats. It encompasses subjects ranging from Computers and Electronics to Bioscience and Medicine. A good source for social scientist need to be informed about non-social phenomena.
- Sexuality and Society
A blog that explores the intersections between culture, sexuality, social inequality, health and policy. Editors: Kari Lerum (University of Washington) and Shari L. Dworkin (University of California)
- Shirky, Clay - Shirky.com
Writings about the internet: economics & culture, meida & community, open source.
- Sigeto, Tanaka
Faculty of Human Sciences, Osaka University, Japan.
- Situngkir, Hokky
Department of Computational Sociology, Bandung Fe Institute, Indonesia.
- Social Science Statistics Blog
Conversations about social science statistical methods and analysis, presented by the Institute for Quantitative Social Science, Harvard University, USA.
- Siqueira, Holgonsi Soares Gonçalves
Deptartment of Sociology and Political Science, Federal University of Santa Maria.
- Smilde, David | WOLA
University of Georgia, USA.
- SMR blog
A blog associated with the journal Sociological Methods & Research (SMR), that publishes the latest information on the collection, measurement and analysis of data. The blog provides a forum for peer-reviewed comment papers and replications which cannot be included in the print edition of the journal. You can submit comment papers to be peer-reviewed and posted to the blog by emailing the managing editor with the file attached. Once reviewed and accepted by the editor, authors of comment papers will be notified. After the final version of the comment paper is returned it will be posted to the blog.
- Social Science Statistics Blog
This collective blog makes public the hallway conversations about social science statistical methods and analysis from the Institute for Quantitative Social Science (IQSS) at Harvard University and related research groups.
- Sociétés nordiques et baltes - Finland
Editors: Aino Lefebvre (translator and biologist) and Alain Lefebvre (specialist in the Nordic countries).
- Society Pages, The - Social Sciences that matters |
An online, multidisciplinary social science project headquartered in the Department of Sociology at the University of Minnesota. The mission is to bring measured social science to broader public visibility and influence. That is to say, were talking about society with society. The core team is made up of editors-in-chief Doug Hartmann and Chris Uggen, previously the co-editors of Contexts magazine.
- Sociologica Humanitatis - Spain
- Sociological Cinema, The
A site that is designed to help sociology instructors incorporate videos into their classes.
- Sociological Images |
- Sociology and Criminology at Keele University - UK
- Sociology of computer communications Journal
A community for those interested in the sociology of online journaling. Are online journals or web logs a microcosm of real life?
- Sociology in Focus
- Sociology Lens
A blog that is associated with Sociology Compass, a Wiley-Blackwell review journal on all fields sociological.
- Sociology Life
Edited by Mary, a transfer student at Nova Southeastern University (NSU), USA.
- SocioSphere - Mark Foster
A webzine and blog of opinion journalism on the human condition. Understandign the sociosphere (or the world social system) is hard. You might find support on this socioblog. Offers editorials and articles, podcasts and webrings, news and comics.
- Socio-Voce - France
- Soc Shrine, The
- Statistical Modeling, Causal Inference, and Social Science
The authors are Andrew Gelman (Applied Statistics Center at Columbia University), Bob Carpenter (Dept. of Statistics, Columbia University), Aleks Jakulin (Dept. of Statistics, Columbia University) and Phillip Price (Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory).
- Statistics Forum
Presented by the American Statistical Association (ASA) and CHANCE magazine. It provides everyone the opportunity to participate in discussions about probability and statistics and their role in important and interesting topics. Editor: Andrew Gelman.
- Stein, Arlene
A sociologist that blogs about culture wars, sexual politics, American religion, conservative movements, intimacies, and public sociology. Arlene works at the department of sociologie of Rutgers University (USA).
- Stephan, Ed
Western Washington University, USA.
- Sternheimer, Karen - Everyday Sociology Blog
This site was created primarily for people taking or teaching classes in sociology: We are all really students of sociology, arent we?
- Stockinger, Gottfried
Professor for Sociology at University of Pará and for Communication Theory at University of Bahia, Brazil.
- Stone Court
A two-person blog by «Fred» (law professor & litigator) and «Mary» (demographer).
A sociology self-study project organized by mr. Strusz. He explains what sociology is.
- Swaan, Bram de
University professor of Social Science at the University of Amsterdam, Netherlands.
- Thick Culture
A multi-disciplinary blog about what makes cultures «thick»: public discourse, multiculturalism, technology, and civic engagement.
- Thinking Difference
A blog about difference, diversity and multiculturalism.
- Torres, Bob - Not Your Typical Sociologist - Lawrence University, USA
The thoughts of a middle-aged, post-modern, anglo, married with children, male, recovering-Catholic with Jesus-Hindu-Buddhist-Humanist tendencies, critical-applied-bevarioral sociologist. Check out his work in progress, publications, teaching and teaching philosophy. His research interests include the cultural and structural aspects of political economy of the global agro-food system. He concentrates his studies on the socio-political implications of nanotechnology in food and agricultural production, and on the linkages between the oppression of animals and humans under capitalism.
- Total Drek
Thoughts of a frustrated intellectual on sociology, gaming, sicence, politics, science fiction, religion, and whatever else strikes his fancy. Written by graduate students at a sociology department somewhere in the USA.
- Tremblay, Jean-Marie
Professor for Sociology at Cégep de Chicoutimi, Canada.
- Tsygankov, Daniel
Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia.
- Uggen, Christopher - University of Minnesota, USA
This blog does not inform you about his research, it only offers ill-informed opinions on music, running, and writing. There are, however, also some dirty posts on developments in sociology and crimimology. He has adopted a clear safe-left political view: neither too hot, nor too cold and within spitting distance of most of my colleagues.
- Uncommon Thought Journal
Focuses on understanding the critical issues of our times. Topics include: politics, social policy, war, terrorism, 9/11, globalization, military, theats to democracy, legislation, corporatations, corporate power...
Industrie- und Techniksoziologie, Technical University Chemnitz, Germany.
- Walby, Sylvia
UNESCO CHair in Gender Research, UK.
- Walker, Jill
A research blog on how we tell stories online.
- Weintraub, Jeff - Commentaries & Controversies - University of Pennsylvania, USA.
Weyden, Patrick van der
Catholic University Antwerp, Belgium.
- Wherry, Frederick - Culture of Markets - Columbia University, USA.
A sociologist that investigates why people do what they do in the marketplace.
- Why Am I Not Surprised
The author, ChangeSeeker, is a writer, speaker, and sociologist whos made a lifes work out of unapologetically announcing what he sees.
- Yenn - Y for Yenndetta
Department of Politics and International Relations at Royal Holloway University of London, UK.
She concentrates on the socio-political impact of new communication technologies, particularly the internet.
- Zhang, Minjie
Institute of Sociology, Zhejiang Academy of Social Sciences, Hangzhou, China.
- Ziner, Andrew Scott
Department of Anthropology and Sociology, Kutztown Unversity, USA.
- Zunigo, Xavier - France